Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Britain, literally

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Great Britain, literally

I'll be honest and say I had no intention of following the Olympics but once we started getting those medals I was hooked. Cannot wait until Tokyo - I well remember the last one, I just hope I'm still around for next!

Bloody well done guys, really.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/21/great-britain-team-gb-second-rio-2016-olympic-medal-ta...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
64 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Great Britain, literally

Excellent result for all involved Smiley   Mo Farah  should be knighted Thumbs Up

Lets Hope the the Paralymics does not get skupperd for lack of money , These people deserve it too 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's just a question of how much money you invest in selected sports for carefully selected individuals.

The sporting organisations don't stop to think if the money could be better spent on a much wider selection of individuals.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

Cannot wait until Tokyo - I well remember the last one, I just hope I'm still around for next!

Bloody well done guys, really.

so, some people, can run faster, jump higher, swim faster, sail a boat faster, jump from high places and look better, etc, than some other people.....

seriously... so what... ... isn`t that what you did at school?  tried to prove that you were better than the next guy.  and what good did all that effort do? 

It matters not one jot, to me, how  many gold medals someone else has got for being a fraction of a millisecond, or even a nano second, quicker at doing something like running or swimming..

... all the money spent on those stadiums and infrastructures should have been spent sorting out the slum buildings, and decent health care for the less well off in their society...

Yes, indeed    Well done britain, for perpetuating poverty through sport.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Isn't the generation of Olympic Gold Medals exactly what the old USSR did, to prove that their political system was the best?

Never mind the steroids & bread queues...

Minivanman
Hero

You really think that of us?

Blimey.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

I think you need to look at the bigger picture @shutter

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Especially football. Lips are sealed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some people are into sports, some people are into minecraft, some people are into barbecuing, if we all had the same interests, life would be boring... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

SO many individual heroes but my nomination is Maddy (Mad Dog) Hinch the Woman's Hockey goalkeeper! She won it for them in the final against the Netherlands. They outplayed us for most of the game but Maddy kept us in it. And they are the current number ones in the world!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

Minivanman wrote:

I think you need to look at the bigger picture @shutter

Erm... well, now... I think that I am looking at the "Bigger Picture"....

the one that shows the vast expenditure, profiteering, and corruption that produced all that wonderful equipment, buildings, and infrastructure, for a small minority of self interested people to have a lot of fun for a few weeks,

whilst outside of those venues, there are thousands, possibly millions of very poor people with next to nothing in the way of personal possessions, living in cramped conditions, houses made up from any old bits and pieces they can cobble together to provide a roof and shelter from the weather,  probably haven`t got a decent bed to sleep in, or enough food to eat, and have to eke out an existence, because there is no "social security" to help them. no jobs, and no money, and no real future, except to exist as best they can, probably haven`t even got decent schools for the kids to go to...

The millions of dollars/pounds/euro`s, or whatever currency you care to name, that has been spent on THIS years olympics will be outshined by the next one, just the same as the "new year" firework displays around the world,  That money could have provided "some" relief for the poor and needy, even if it was only to provide basic, and I do mean basic needs, such as clean fresh water, and electricity, and some good basic health care workers to visit the poor people to help to educate them regarding improving their own personal health and environment...

It may not be enough to clear all the slums, that are part of the "bigger picture" that you did not see on the telly,  ( probably the screen wasn`t big enough for that kind of picture).. but at least the poor people would be on the road to a better way of living, than they are now, 

do they not come into the "bigger picture" that you want me to look at... ?

Oh, and if you still think I need a BIGGER PICTURE to look at.... go to this site.... and see how the previous money has been totally wasted....  since 1936 ....

http://bowshrine.com/abandoned-former-olympic-games-sites/

Community Veteran

@Minivanman

Here`s a couple of "financial"     Bigger Pictures... that you may (not) want to look at...  in terms of what I have already written...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/nov/12/toxic-waste-clean-up-olympic

and this.... quote taken from ..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-haugh-olympics-spt-0803-20160802-column.html

entitled....

In retrospect, losing 2016 Olympics to Rio a big victory for Chicago

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Finding a way to pay for the Olympics would have been hard to accept in a city that barely can pay its teachers.

Chicago's bid came in at $4.8 billion, an unrealistically low number

Rio already has gone at least $100 million above its $14.4 billion estimate.

London, host of the 2012 Games, budgeted $4 billion but spent $14 billion.

According to tax returns, Chicago's unsuccessful bid cost $70.6 million and we can feel fortunate the sea of debt went no deeper.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

If the same funding was made available to Rio, instead of hosting the "games". they could have cleaned up and re-housed just about every family... AND given employment to them in the way of construction jobs associated with building those houses, this... I think... is the BIGGER PICTURE..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter I read your two articles and that 20 minutes of my life I shall not get back. So the Olympic Games paid for the clean up of the site that's a win win and do I care whether the games are in Chicago or Rio except the Brazilians can Samba better and know how to party!

The GB games effort was paid for out of The Lottery and would not be transferred to housing or benefit payments would it?

I bet you were behind the bike shed having a [-Censored-] when the rest of the class were in the cross country run Funny

/Edit Why is the colloquial version of cigarette on the swear filter?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus Well, at least you spent 20 minutes of your life.... looking at the "bigger picture"... unless I am  mistaken..Smiley

Unfortunately, we did not have a bike shed... and fortunately, I did not smoke then... so I HAD to go on the cross country runs... which, even back then, I thought was totally pointless....  and a waste of "proper" educational time away from the classroom.. ( where it was usually nice and warm and dry) .. those sadistic P.T. teachers always seemed to programme cross country runs on the wettest and coldest days of the winter...  never did any in the summer..  wonder why  ? ? ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

we did cross country runs when it was too cold (ground was frozen solid) for rugby