cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grass cuttings

Fixes: 47

Grass cuttings

It never ceases to surprise me how hot it gets inside a pile of freshly cut grass.
I'm always expecting it to burst into flames.
I have a new green bin specifically for recyclable garden waste and it's been full of grass cuttings for 2 days.
Each time I open it there's a cascade of water from the lid so I leave it open to 'breath'.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Grass cuttings

You can compost it, that makes use of the heat.
Our council stopped garden waste collection last year, so now it is a choice of compost or black bin it. Or I could pay ££'s for a collection or take it to the dump recycling centre.

The bin and a year's emptying has cost me £55.14.
I have a compost heap at the bottom of the garden but no way of using it.
I could do with a very large industrial type skip.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Speaking of gardens i put down grass seeds 2 weeks ago check my pics, ive ust bought myself a greenline lawn mower from aldi for £59.99 im inching to give it the chop lol but must leave it another week.
week 1
week 2
This is the seed i used took about 2 boxes for that size garden http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gro-Sure-square-Multi-Purpose-Lawn-Seed/dp/B00PLYZ2AI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid...
An old guy down the road told me that when i do my first cut spinkle the grass collected over the grass ive cut once only as it gives back lots of Nutrients
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It looks like you've a wall between the two grassed areas - I hope it's up to the job of retaining your side!  Smiley
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

built the walls myself matey they been there 4 years now Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Hairy
Our council stopped garden waste collection last year, so now it is a choice of compost or black bin it. Or I could pay ££'s for a collection or take it to the dump recycling centre.

So did ours, much to the annoyance of many.
I have quite a large lawn and it would take 6 black bags (half full to lift without bursting) of cuttings every mow. This then needed taking to the recycling centre which is a 20 mile round trip, and quite inconvenient. If the bags aren't dumped on the day of cutting it takes no time at all from them to start fermenting; not nice. Anyway, I thought sod it and now a guy comes in to mow it, strimming the edges as well (something I never did all the time) and takes the cutting away as well and all for £20 a pop.
Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
It never ceases to surprise me how hot it gets inside a pile of freshly cut grass.
I'm always expecting it to burst into flames.
I have a new green bin specifically for recyclable garden waste and it's been full of grass cuttings for 2 days.
Each time I open it there's a cascade of water from the lid so I leave it open to 'breath'.

Gets very hot...causing fires here...  http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/properties_evacuated_after_huge_fire_in_ramsey_heights_1_4032471
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Very annoying. We've paid for it in our council tax but they decide to stop it and make us pay for it again as an optional service.
How does that work in a diplomatic society?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

We have one of those council composting Daleks. green waste and some of lawn clippings go in there. It makes great compost. The rest of the grass is tipped into the chicken run, they soon kick the pile down and is fades away within a couple of weeks. The chucks love the worms from the Dalek. The chicken poo/hay from their hutch helps activate the composting in the Dalek.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Marksfish
Grafter

Our council stopped garden waste collection last year, so now it is a choice of compost or black bin it.

And they wonder why people fly tip  Angry

I know quite a few people in my area put garden waste in the black general household waste bin rather than pay the annual £55 for a green bin and 14 emptyings (new word).
Fixes: 125

Not sure if all councils are the same but no matter when you start collections for garden waste in Thanet (£28 for bin and £40 annual collection) there is no pro-rata payment.
We started garden waste collections last May but SWMBO wants me to set it up again for this year but if we end up moving some time this summer/autumn we won't get any back so I am reluctant to do so.
Whatever do we pay our exorbitant council Taxes for? Year on Year cuts along with increases in payments Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Our council charges £26 per 'season' (Mar to Nov, fortnightly collections) for green waste and 'subscribers' get entered into a prize draw each month and the winners get the fee refunded.
There's no additional charge for the wheelie bin, its provided as part of the service.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Our council charge £25 for fortnightly empting March - Nov and 1 per month Dec & Jan.
They will fine you if you put garden waste in the houseoild rubbish bin