cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grangemouth

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Grangemouth

Seems a decision has been made to close Grangemouth refinery with the loss of 800 jobs.
Without knowing all the facts it's would be wrong to comment on whether or not strike action was justified by the workers who were facing changes to contracts of employment which included pension arrangements but many workers in other jobs have had to accept changes to contracts and pension arrangements which in my opinion is completely wrong as a contract should not by Law be changed unless both sides agree but equally perhaps some job is better than no job ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24631342
7 REPLIES
Roberto0151
Grafter

Re: Grangemouth

Just one difference with your post - it isn't the whole refinery, only the petrochemical plant that they say they are going to close. Without knowing a lot about the set-up at Grangemouth it's not possible to be too specific but it will probably not be nearly so serious for Scotland as a whole as total closure would have been.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

AIUI the main issue is the US exported derivatives of shale gas undercuting the production costs of the output from the petrochemical site at Grangemouth, making the plant uncompetitive.
The writing must be on the wall for the refinery when conversion from shale gas to petrol and diesel becomes more main stream.
Suggesting cuts in wages would only put off the inevitable full closure............................. unless the UK shale gas production comes online Wink
Community Veteran

I believe the refinery is also closed at present as the two plants are tightly interlinked.
If the petrochemicals plant stays shut I guess that means it's non-trivial to restart the refinery.  Cry
Fixes: 47

There was suggestions of more talks today with a climbdown by the union but the company may still press ahead with it's closure plan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24647843
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

it looks like there has been a movement by the union which could keep the plant open. It all depends on Jim Ratcliffe the major shareholder.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24647843
Community Veteran

The Grangemount plant will remain open after a deal has been struck between the company and unions.
Settlement
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It would have been inconvenient to the SNP plans for independence having to rely on English refineries for petrol. I'll bet Alex S blinked.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.