cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government u-turn over the fuel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Government u-turn over the fuel

So.. Just days ago they're urging motorists to fill up and even keep supplies at home. What happened? Many of you obliged, went and bought every last drop and managed to run many fuel stations dry even though there was no strike announced and none planned.
Now we're actually in a pickle they've performed a U-turn and announced that you shouldn't panic buy, just use what you need etc. Stable door after the horse has bolted?
I seem to remember a few of you slating me in the other thread for saying people shouldn't panic buy. There was no strike, there was no need to fill up and now look - if the drivers strike now we are potentially screwed and now the government is trying to slow down people buying the stuff  Crazy
/rant
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
33 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Government u-turn over the fuel

Think you need to reread the thread.
Community Veteran

I ain't re-reading anything. Several people made their feelings quite clear towards me in that thread and look at the situation now.
nadger
Rising Star

Rather glad that common sense now looks like prevailing.
Will still fill car to brim next Wednesday as have to do about 350 miles over Easter and hotel is already booked and paid - non refundable.
Community Veteran

Sensible position to take nadger.  I currently have a full tank as I need to drive to Gatwick next week.
Community Veteran

Problem is that who trusts a politician? So now when they say there is no need to panic, I think that's a good time to start doing just that.
A sort of calm panic anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

FWIW ... SWMBO recons it was a "trial-run" to establish if during a time of crises the public would listen to the politicians ................they did, it was a success Roll eyes Roll eyes Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and one silly woman got 40% burns for using a fuel can, as recommended by a stupid cabinet member
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How much have we seen in the press over the last few days about cash for lunches with the PM?
The Tories achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Maude 'must go' over mother's petrol horrors: Family blames minister's 'jerry can' advice
    Diane Hill was pouring petrol from jerry can to glass jug for daughter's car
    Flames from gas cooker set petrol fumes alight which engulfed her clothes
    MP calls for Maude to resign over 'irresponsible and stupid' jerry can plea
    Government manufactured fuel chaos to distract from budget and donors row, claims Ed Balls
    PM says his heart goes out to family of petrol burns victim

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2122500/Fuel-crisis-Francis-Maude-urged-quit-Diane-Hill-suff...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: nadger
Will still fill car to brim next Wednesday.

Always assuming the garages have been restocked by then, I wasn't out for fuel this morning, but passed quite a few, all empty of cars with their unleaded pumps disabled presumably out of stock, just a few diesel pumps in use.
In several, the staff had nothing else better to do but wash down the pumps and tidy up.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

SWMBO is off on a long journey tomorrow morning so filled up after shopping this afternoon at our nearest Tesco - very quiet.
But then it's never cheap and there are no offers at present.......  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
How much have we seen in the press over the last few days about cash for lunches with the PM?
The Tories achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve.

Well said that man. Always a bigger picture somewhere..
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Read tomorrow Sunday Times, the worms are coming out of the woodwork
tinto
Grafter

I was browsing the BBC news website and found this wee gem from Dave where he calls on the Unite Union to enter the proposed negotiations "constructivelly" (is there such a word?) whilst refraining to make the same request of the employers. He then went on to say the Union should call off the strike, totally ignoring the fact that no strike has yet been declared, so far there's only been a ballot.  He makes much of the fact that the fuel suppliers are making arrangements to deal with the current shortages, making no mention of the fact that the shortages wouldn't be getting resolved had the tanker drivers not been public spirited enough to work even longer hours to clear up the mess he and his Cabinet colleagues created with their so called "advice" to motorists. This has been a truly disastrous few weeks for the Tories, but even more for the the country, as they lurch from one fiasco to another, all of which they claim to have been caused everyone except themselves.
Voters in Scotland have long since recognised the Tories for the greedy,incompetent chancers that they are and are perplexed that the rest of the UK haven't rumbled them, but it's now getting to the stage here where previously staunch supporters of a devolved Scotland within a  United Britain, are becoming so sickened by the conduct of the current Westminster administration are beginning to think Independence may be preferable after all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17567175