Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Government services

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Telegraph"]
Facebook log-ins 'to be used to access Government services'
People will be able to use social media profiles such as Facebook to access public services online, under plans to be unveiled later this month.
Those applying via computer or mobile phone for services ranging from tax credits, fishing licences and passports will be asked to choose from a list of familiar log-ins to prove their identity.
These will include those the applicant already uses on social media sites, banks and major retailers such as supermarkets, under the plans.
They will be used to authenticate that user’s identity and it is hoped, reduce the difficulties people face in having to remember multiple log-in details.
However, concerns have already been raised that the system could be targeted by cyber-criminals.
It is understood that the Cabinet Office has held talks with the Post Office, high street banks, mobile phone companies and technology firms such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, PayPal and BT over the scheme.
Read More Here

Why oh why would some one whont to login to the Government web site with Facebook?
Who ever fort this up needs their head looking at!
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Facebook log-ins 'to be used to access Government services'

I often use Facebook to login for other services.
Personally I never joined Facebook or ever wanted to. Some numpty used one of my throwaway email addresses to set up a Facebook account which I later took over by changing the password.
Yes I'm sure that will authenticate my identity. Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Facebook log-ins 'to be used to access Government services'

Update
[quote="Zdnet"]
UK drawing blueprint for massive scale identity infrastructures
Summary: The UK is reaching significant milestones in its plan to build an identity infrastructure for a digital government that connects citizens and online services
[Big Snip]
The remaining questions are will it work and will privacy groups and consumers embrace it. The government has been fighting criticism that IDA is a national ID program in sheep’s clothing. The message is IDA will prevent such an outcome.
“This is not a drill,” said Thibeau. “The UK is aiming to save billions of pounds by taking this approach.”
Read More Here

By Bold
1) will it work = No
2) IDA is a national ID program in sheep’s clothing = Yes it is.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Government services

3) Will it be a massive security breach? = Yes  Shocked