Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government ready to round up opinions on DNA database

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Government ready to round up opinions on DNA database

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/05/dna_retention_consultation/
If you’d like to express a view about what the government should do with its guidelines on the keeping of DNA samples, you have just three days left to do so.
That is if you wish to respond to a consultation – "Keeping the right people on the DNA database" - currently being run by the Home Office and intended "to promote public debate on how long we should retain fingerprints and DNA".
The consultation became necessary late last year, when the European Court of Human Rights ruled in the case of "S and Marper" that it was illegal for the government to retain DNA profiles and fingerprints belonging to two men never convicted of any crime.
A key feature of that judgment was the court’s dislike of the "blanket and indiscriminate nature of the power of retention in England and Wales".
20 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Government ready to round up opinions on DNA database

But just think of how many cases were solved 20 years on because of retained DNA
mentalist3d
Grafter

But also think of all the miscarriages of justice because DNA was used as the sole evidence which led to conviction.
A documentary on Channel4 a while back had a scientist against retaining DNA especially for solving criminal cases and one of his simple answers was "I can shake your hand, whereby some DNA is transfered to me, dead skin particles, a bit of hair, get on a train, travel a 100 miles, commit a crime, touch an object at the crime scene and unknowingly transfer the DNA of the person whose hand I shook which is then left at the crime scene" Humans interchange their DNA everyday in everyday interactions
itsme
Grafter

As a psoriasis sufferer that's the main reason that blanket DNA collecting and retention worry me.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

A couple of comments from The Register
[Snip] Has no one told these people that innocent people are exactly that - innocent? So they not only HAVEN'T done anything, there is no proof that they WILL. And how can you have a 'consultation' on whether or not the government should obey the law? The European COURT, not the parliament, told Jacqboot in no uncertain terms what had to be done, and now they're just going "La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la..."

[My bold] What I agree with 100%
to all those readers of El Reg that haven't had a mouth swab, remember this. Your brother, sister, father, aunt or cousin also has a percentage of your DNA. Depending on the analysis system used you to could be a suspect. Enjoy

What I agree with 100%
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and that is how they have found a few guilty people in the last year, a close relative was tested and found to be a close match, so they looked and found the culprit, a small price to pay
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

No it is not a small price to pay.   Angry 
The government should obey the law
pierre_pierre
Grafter

roll on the day when some one attacks you and get released because they werent allowed to take his DNA
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That is just the type of comment I expected from some one who doesn't give a dam for privacy,  that is sad that you don't give a dam for privacy.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no I would sooner see the guilty caught, as I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

But if the government does this your human rights and privacy will be flushed down the drain, plus it is illegal for the government to keep DNA of innocent people under the EU lore.
James
Grafter

Not if they change the law first :p
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
As a psoriasis sufferer that's the main reason that blanket DNA collecting and retention worry me.

I'm leaving me DNA all over the place so I'm very concerned the if I get into a DNA databank I could be accused of any crime because they found some of my DNA. So how does the law protect me? Do the police need other evidence or do I have to proof I did not commit the crime?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Not if they change the law first :p

That is the point the government can not change the law with us been in the EU, if the government  wants to change the law we will need to get out of the EU
mentalist3d
Grafter

I hate the argument "if you have nothing to hide.......", this defence crops up again and again for a variety of things invading our privacy. So those that use this argument please buy a webcam and have it switched on 24/7 for all the world to see, also please share all your internet logs, browsing habits, e-mails, bills, install software so we can track your movements via mobile, etc. because if you have nothing to hide you wouldn't mind anyone then having a look 24/7.
Anyway, other things, yes there might be a benefit to a DNA database such as detecting criminals etc, however, there is a darkside to the issue which just isn't being raised. The present government might be trusted to retain this data (not in my opinion tho), but democracies don't last for ever and just say we wake up one day in a dictatorship, how will the DNA database be used then, our freedom of speech has already been eroded and are continuing to do so, so democracy is becoming less and less, voting is down every election, so one day someone can sneak into power and eradicate any last freedom and democracy we have or thought we had, and for what purpose will the DNA database put to then. Even in a democracy, if the BNP ever took power (god forbid) don't you think they would use the database for extra activities than for what it was intended for?
There is to much drive for ID cards, CCTV, DNA databases and not enough drive in making sure the data will be held securely and only be able to be accessed for the purpose it was intended, and look at the track record of the government so far for keeping our personal data safe - 1000 of details lost in transit (on several occasions), laptops and other data left on public transport, etc. They aren't really doing a good job now protecting our data, so what is going to happen when there is more data collected with more people having access to.