Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government electric car grants.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Government electric car grants.

@gleneagles 

I can understand that they'd not come off very well in any accident but then at a maximum speed of just a nudge under 30mph it's going to be the other vehicle that causes the damage - not that it helps!

Had a couple of 2CV's many years back and the same view was was taken of them, in fact one got shunted up the backside when the Mrs was out driving it one day and it had to be written off. Seem to recall that at the time they were said to be the most unsafe cars on the road with Jaguar being the safest but there you go, had 'em for six years, the kids all learned to drive in one... and we all survived. 

Oh yes...

Just had a call from the garage to say our little ten year old Fiesta that was in for yet another front coil spring to be replaced will fail it's next MOT in July because of rust under and around the battery housing. "Not economical to repair", so might now take up an offer I've had for that Ford Focus automatic mentioned under the 'Car Scrappage again.....' topic.

One Ford Fiesta, Do Not Resuscitate. ☹️

I wonder if I can get government car scrappage credit?

PS.

"Equally older cars which fewer people want will be around for the next 20 years or more, likely to get cheaper..."

Not so sure about that as it's been suggested that with fewer petrol/diesel cars on the road because new ones are not being bought as we approach 2030, the price of older cars might well increase because there are less of them.

Supply and demand? Could be.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

What year of Fiesta is it to suffer from that kind of terminal corrosion.
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 182

@PowerLee 

Apparantly a 10 year old one. As it's around the battery box I'm guessing that it's a battery acid problem causing the issue. I would further guess that it might be repairable by a back street garage but if you look at the cost of a spring plus welding repairs in terms of what some garages charge for both main dealer parts and labour I'm not surprised.

@Minivanman 

Do try out the Ford Focus automatic before buying. Due to my wife only driving automatics I have had 13 over the last 50 years. The only one I took for a test drive and returned after about 5 minutes not being able to stand its performance was a Focus automatic. The gearbox was an old lazy presumably Ford version of the old hydraulic type. These are terribly inefficient compared with more modern types. Look at an Ishift or CVT type such as a Honda Jazz.

Alternatively if you want an old type hydraulic gearbox look at a Peugeot 207, my fun car is a 2010 207CC, which is still a gas guzzler but is great on a sunny day with the roof down.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

Spot on about the battery box, been watching it getting worse for months now so it comes as no real surprise. The old girl has served us well for ten years and 130,000 miles so no complaints. 

As for the Ford Focus automatic, touch wood that is being offered to us free by my son-in-law when he buys a new car in the next month or so.

Thanks for the tips.  👍

Funny thing is we've sort of gotten used to not using the car much having gone almost cold turkey with this Covid business so being without a car post July and in-between going electric next year (if that happens and fingers crossed) it will be no great shakes. 

Free bus pass to the rescue!  

PowerLee
Pro

I've not heard of any mk6 Fiesta being scrapped due to corrosion yet until this one.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

As for the Ford Focus automatic, touch wood that is being offered to us free by my son-in-law when he buys a new car in the next month or so.

Gift horse and mouth spring to mind @Minivanman  Wink  Thumbs_Up

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

And an opportune one as well @RobPN 

Just hope he has not changed his mind or had second thoughts. 🤔

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@PowerLee 

Not sure what mark my one is, but it's a 2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec.

The corrosion is directly under the battery, but it's also right next the the window washer so not surprise it gets wet as those things often overfill regardless of how careful we are.

Will post up a pic t'morrow if I remember. 

PS. Scrapping by the way is on the advice of a long used by us local garage. Said it will fail it's next MOT for sure and the cost of repair would far outweigh the value of the car. His estimate was £300 for just the welding plus other work that's needed such as bearing (ABS faulty) and corroded brake pipes. 

PPS. Also I'm getting just a bit fed up with replacing those front coil springs. Five changed to date. ☹️

PowerLee
Pro

2006 will be a facelifted mk 5 Fiesta.
HelloDuck
Pro

@Minivanman

How far do you live from the sea ?

Just a thought do cars which are kept  near to the sea corrode more than cars what are kept inland.

HD

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@HelloDuck 

About ten mile for us and indeed that used to be the case at one time but not so much now I believe.

The rust on the Fiesta has to be down to the screen washer bottle as it's right next to the battery although having said that, isn't there something about why rust does occur near batteries anyway? Something to do with the current flow - but I might be talking out of my elbow.

It's going to be scrapped in a couple of months anyway which is a real shame as it's in good nick otherwise.

Had a quote from scrapcarnetwork.org who will collect and pay £150 for it, but maybe a bit more money might had selling it as a project for somebody with a welding kit. 

PowerLee
Pro

If the headlamps are good / not clouded over I could find them a new home.

billnotben
Community Veteran

On my Clio I have to give my headlights a quick wipe over with WD40 before an MOT otherwise they pick up a warning.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@PowerLee 

Clouded over sorry even after having them polished by a valeting service about four months back. Looked better for a while but now back to where they were. Dim as a NAAFI as my old dad used to say.  

PowerLee
Pro

@Minivanman.

No worries, for the last few years we have to polish / clean the headlamp lens for my missus just before her Fiesta goes for mot - they cloud over again within a few months.