Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government electric car grants.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Government electric car grants.

I'm assuming that any "smart" port will log the charging power as something separate from household electricity.

You reminded me of the time I used to listen to some police radio occasionally. One call which went like beep "we are stuck on the hill track and can't move, the snow is coming down harder now. beep It's halfway up the side windows now. beep we are keeping the engine running to keep warm. beep beep

As you are probably thinking, an engine just ticking over to keep warm will last for ages. But an electric vehicle.......

JonoH
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 118

@gleneagles wrote:

so the Question is which vehicle will continue to keep you warm longer, one running on petrol or diesel or the electric car....

To keep it fair let’s say you recharge your car before the return journey but will it still be as good as a tank full of petrol ?

Has this ever happened to anyone here? and if so were you really sat there with a full tank of petrol?

Okay so just for the fun of it, lets look. to start we multiply the engine displacement in litres by the number 0.6 so

• if you're in a 2 litre vehicle it's 1.2 litres of fuel idling per hour if you're in a  
  • 3 litre vehicle it's 1.8 litres of fuel
  • 5 litre vehicle its 3 litres of fuel per hour.

Now the according to google the average fuel tank is between 50-70 litres so even in the biggest car with the smallest average tank you'd have 16.6 hours idle time. With the smallest car and the biggest tank you'd get 60 hours

The Tesla model 3 has a heat pump, as such it can idle really efficiently and heat a car (in outside temps in the minuses) for 70-80 hours.  I watched a guy camping in one at -26c, he kept its at about +20c and an average power draw of  1.95Kw and he was watching YouTube videos on the giant console tablet during that period, so the kids would be warm, dry and entertained

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

You’ve clearly done a fair bit of research into that, far more than me and if I understand those figures correctly you would be warmer for longer in an electric car.

I cannot argue with those figures, perhaps I am thinking about current battery technology where the power of the battery reduces over a given period of time, clearly this new battery technology is different.

Reviews by current owners of electric cars will be interesting to see.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It would be interesting to see more "real world" tests which seem to be lacking. I haven't seen any car manufacturers do a direct comparison between an electric and petrol version of one of their cars.

While things look marvellous on paper I can't help thinking about the mobile phone ads on their supposed battery life and the difference users find in real life.

And while high end super cars will have all the latest technology and gadgets I doubt any "budget" electric cars will.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@billnotben wrote: As you are probably thinking, an engine just ticking over to keep warm will last for ages. But an electric vehicle.......

Even petrol, diesel cars, at some point, need re-fuelling. People tend to drive accordingly. And unintended stops (like my 3 hr saga on the M25) will throw any journey plan (including refuelling stops), however the car is powered. I can tell you I was starting to look at that fuel gauge with great concern after 15miles of starts followed by how long we going to be stopped now - is it worth stopping the engine thoughts. One advantage of electric motors is the on / off switching. In standby mode very little power is actually consumed. Whereas a petrol car needs to have the engine running before it moves even a short distance.

And of course, not much point having heat in an engine if you haven't got the fan on to get it into the car. Most tend to use electricity from a battery. Better keep the engine running to top it up! I tend to keep a blanket in the car for such use.

Only the other night I was looking at a video on trams (including horse drawn trams). Sort of highlighted, what is the king of the road today won't necessarily be there tomorrow.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JonoH
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 118

There's plenty on YouTube of reviewers and owners charging the battery and then emptying it in different ways.
 Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager