cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Re-opens for Business

Community Veteran

Government Re-opens for Business

After 16 days of having the government shut down here in the US things are starting to get back to normal this morning with an agreement being reached.  Government employees are returning to work and will start to get paid again.
This has been a bitter battle between the Tea Party wing of the Republicans and the Democrats.  They have been gunning for Obama and in particular his affordable Health care legislation. Obama stood firm and came out the victor.
The debt ceiling has been raised to allow the government to function but this is only a temporary measure and it could all happen again in the New Year.
Shutdown Ends
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Government Re-opens for Business

What I don't understand is how anyone can oppose legislation that makes it easier for so many people to obtain health care. But then I'm not an American of a certain political persuasion.
The US is a relatively poor country but it seems that so many people are blind to it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Two political parties arguing how they are going to spend the money they haven't borrowed yet Crazy
Next stop February
Community Veteran

@nozzer, the answer to your question is simple - big business and the money they pay to representatives in the House to keep their profits flowing.  The main losers with the Affordable Health Care bill will be medical companies, drug companies and hospitals.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Government Re-opens for Business... Never missed it. Seems odd the GOP would have destroyed America to stop everyone having access to medial insurance? But then these teapots are descended from the gun nuts who almost destroyed America over slavery.
Community Veteran

I think the members of the GOP were looking to their own futures when they decided to give in.  it will be interesting to see how the American public react to their actions  in next year's election. Not very favorably is my guess.
Community Veteran

It has been estimated that the shutdown has cost the country $3.2 Billion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
It has been estimated that the shutdown has cost the country $3.2 Billion.

Which ..... according the the BBC news a couple of days ago,... is about the amount of INTEREST the US government owes during 4 minutes of TV reporting about the shutdown !...  ( or was it 3.2 million )... anyway, it was a lot fo money ! ! ..