cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Finance problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Government Finance problem

We all know, that we have to pay taxes for the "services" we receive from Local and National Government.  This is collected by HMRC... and then distributed back through government departments... All of which claim, they are not getting enough, to deliver services.

Just a though....

Michael Gove, is now going to start "cracking down on pollution caused by

on wood-burning stoves, diesels and toxic tyre particles to tackle ‘national health crisis’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5755383/New-clean-air-revolution-Crackdown-wood-burning-stov...

• Environment Secretary Michael Gove will set out policies to tackle air pollution
  • He will say it is the fourth-biggest killer behind cancer, obesity and heart disease
  • The plans include a messaging system to alert the elderly to poor air conditions 

Yeah... Ok..   just another way to raise money for the government coffers...   so.. if this works.. and it will be a very long time in numbers of years, before it can be proved, either way,   it will mean people will be living longer....  

But.... hang on a minute....... if more people are living longer, then the state pension pot will need to grow massively to be able to pay out to those long living souls...  

kinda weird that.. but makes you thinks..  where is THAT money going to come from  ? 

From a government financial point of view... it would be better to keep the status quo

... and find the money for the NHS that is needed to keep the present population healthy.. ( and those who wood be affected by the smoke and mirrors presented by Gove today ! ) .

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Government Finance problem

It always amuses me when politicians quote a National Health Crisis relating to this or that pollution source. They never actually qualify the impact.  The oft quoted 40000 premature deaths is an extrapolation of an estimate based on guesses, but no one actually says by how many days/months/years on average your life will be shortened.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Next thing they'll be doing is banning water due to it causing burns, drowning and explosions (you know, when a pipe bursts!!)... Funny

Community Veteran

This "amused" me...

The plans include a messaging system to alert the elderly to poor air conditions 

So... when I receive this message ,........

what am I supposed to do....

move home to a place where the air is better  ?

or just stop breathing until I get the "all clear" message  ? ? ?

Community Veteran

Use one of these perhaps: http://www.vax.co.uk/air-treatment/vax-pure-air-300-air-purifier

Community Veteran

Ah... but................  Will the government be issuing them to us oldies.. f.o.c. ?  Huh

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect Gove and the rest of the government are rather hoping their plans will avert a very large fine...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/17/uk-taken-to-europes-highest-court-over-air-pollu...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I think they need a HOT air filter in the houses of parliament Thumbs Up save us all a lot of money Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@rongtw wrote:

I think they need a HOT air filter in the houses of parliament Thumbs Up

Sadly, enforced euthanasia is not legal... Funny

Community Veteran

Perhaps now the Chancellor has thrown his weight behind "Full Fibre" the MP's will be able to work from home via video conference link. Thus avoiding the need to refurbish the Houses of Parliament including the cost of hot air filtering. The site is ideally suitable for demolition and resurrecting as a multi-storey car park designed for electric cars.

Joshua123

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Perhaps now the Chancellor has thrown his weight behind "Full Fibre" the MP's will be able to work from home via video conference link. Thus avoiding the need to refurbish the Houses of Parliament including the cost of hot air filtering. The site is ideally suitable for demolition and resurrecting as a multi-storey car park designed for electric cars.

That's what I thought as well.