Did you mean: 

Gov's "Year Of Code" leader CAN'T CODE

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Gov's "Year Of Code" leader CAN'T CODE

Well you know what they say, if you can you do, if you can't you teach  Wink
HERE From El Reg.
Now what is wrong with this statement?
On Newsnight, the Year of Code chief executive Lottie Dexter invited comparisons with The IT Crowd's Jen as she breezily admitted she couldn't write any code herself - while insisting being able to program was vital to "to understand how the world works" - a skill as vital as reading writing and maths - and could be learned in a day.

Maybe they are teaching Basic again?
53 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Gov's "Year Of Code" leader CAN'T CODE

If...Then...Else
For...Next
Sorted Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Nah you missed GOTO!  Sad
Community Veteran

If getting somebody to do their first program is using BASIC could be a good place to start, it gets them use to all the common language features very quickly. Though Arduino Sketch coding is pretty simple too and that is C-like. I would of course proposer somebody starts with assembler on a PIC8/16 or similar to get a flashy LED using onchip timers which can be turned on and off using a button connected to a PIO.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Quote from: Hairy

Subroutines complicate matters...keep it simple for the oldies Wink
WTF
Grafter

This whole thing is like 20 years too late: why do kids need to learn to code?  You might as well teach them how repair a steam train or service gas lamps: coding has almost all moved abroad now, mostly to India.  
In fact, we're rapidly approaching the stage where if you tick off the Indians, somebody in Mumbai can flick a switch and turn off your entire country  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

[code=Basic]10 CLS
20 PRINT "This woman cant practice what she preaches"
30 PRINT "What the heck is this woman being paid to do."
40 GOTO 20[/code]
Ooops looks like there is a loop Tongue Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
 You might as well teach them how repair a steam train ... coding has almost all moved abroad now, mostly to India.  

No it has not. Well some has. In fact Serbia, Russia and Poland have some of the best people for what I would call WWW, C++ and now C# developers.
The low level embedded work is still thriving in the UK and EU, in general we are good at it compared to many others, not sure why, but it is true.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Subroutines complicate matters...keep it simple for the oldies Wink

GOTO is NOT a subroutine.
It is an explicit command, you can return from a goto if you know how to but normally you don't. You are thinking of gosub.
If we allow everyone else to do the programming then we will become (and ARE) just consumers. It needs to be taught so that at least they have a base understanding. However when I was at school there wasn't any computers, and calculators (basic ones) were so new there was few people who had one. And they were NOT allowed in exams.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool  I have only one thing to say about this...

> SYNTAX ERROR

I must agree with the Register when it says,  "The scheme has also raised the profile of a network of companies and consultants who'll ultimately profit from the teach kids to code gravy train." And Gravy Train is by far the best term to describe these money-to-burn initiatives.
I was also amused by the comment, "at least, a year of spending money on mucking about with iPads - in this writer's view, one of the few jobs its middle managers and digital executives actually can do." He assumes middle manager are not complete morons who think even the water machine works by magic.
Back in the day many of us learned to code, despite the best efforts of the education system. And I doubt that's any different with today's young generation of bedroom coders. They are the ones reverese engineering their Rasberry Pi's and Arduinos, with a level of technical skill far beyond anything their ICT teacher could wish to attain.
There is a logic error when it comes to this inititiative, and that is that all kids can be taught to code from the age of five. No, all kids can use an I-Pad from the age of two, but develop programs requires not just a lot of technical experience but, a fundimental apptitutde for tech stuff in the first place.
Given the way schools condition kids to hate subjects for life, like Maths, French, History, Latin, Shakespeare, Chemistry, Geography, etc, with poor teaching and even poorer leadrship, there is already a pool of kids who will hate computers, forevermore.
I think this compiles...
abstract class YearOfCode implements GovernmentPolicy {
   public sector [color=purple]YearOfCode()
;
   private float Consultants;
   public void Result { private set { Consultants = GovernmentPolicy.funding; } }
  // Where funding is dereived from the taxes class

}[/color]
Sad What's a compiler?

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
Quote from: WTF
 You might as well teach them how repair a steam train ... coding has almost all moved abroad now, mostly to India.  

No it has not. Well some has. In fact Serbia, Russia and Poland have some of the best people for what I would call WWW, C++ and now C# developers.
The low level embedded work is still thriving in the UK and EU, in general we are good at it compared to many others, not sure why, but it is true.

Sure, I exagerate for effect: not everything has gone and not all of it went to India - we still build the odd ship in the UK, too - but the the buik of jobs that require coding skills are gone and are not coming back.
I assume that the idea of the coding initiative is to help kids find a job in later life and my view is that, unless they intend moving abroad or we're only talking Excel macros, it most probably won't.
Apart from the odd - very temporary - lift, the IT job market in the UK has been dire for at least a decade and incomes have been stagnating.  25 years ago, I was probably in the top 1% of earners, now I'm barely in the top 10% - I'm actually earning marginally less than I was 10 years ago which translates to around a 30% real terms cut.  And I've been relatively lucky compared to many people I know in the IT game.

You are thinking of gosub.

You're quite correct, I am Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Recurse politics.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

nah its all about machine code so you can make your zboard display work as a digital clock ........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I am the process of making one of my pi's into a digital (Internet) radio, complete with 2 line display and rotary encoders to do volume/channel etc.
There is a nice walk through on this site. I plan of using the switch on the other encoder to be a sleep timer.
That and play with the code to learn some python, which I have been trying to do for ages, but without a project it doesn't hold my interest.
Finding a housing is becoming a task as well. I have a nice SCSI external box that would hold it all, and it has the benefit of having +5/12 built in. But is a bit large, or I have a plastic case that would take the pi/lcd/encoders but not the amp and speakers .. decisions decisions.
Might have a rummage through the charity shops this week as well.