cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got any old money ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Got any old money ?

The old style £20 note is being withdrawn from circulation and you have 1 day to get rid of them....    Undecided
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/twentyv/index.htm
27 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Got any old money ?

Took a total of £850 from cash machines yesterday and it was all in £5 & £10 notes which was a pain. Cry
Lurker
Grafter

I always thought there was a shortage of £5 notes - however we got nearly 4k out of the bank last week - and around £800 was in fivers. :/
/will prebook withdrawal next time...
Community Veteran

Those "old" £20 notes will be accepted by banks for some time, and I suspect most sensible shops etc. won't refuse them either.
I've got some old £1 and 10/- notes that I kept to show my kids.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Took a total of £850 from cash machines yesterday and it was all in £5 & £10 notes which was a pain. Cry

You mean you've found a cash machine that's actually loaded with £5 notes?! (I know all cash machines can hold them, and that a few do actually stock them, but I've never yet encountered one of the latter.)
nadger
Rising Star

It was local Barclays and screen actually said that £5 & £10 notes will be dispensed.
On a vintage note I remember getting my first white fiver in my pay.
Fixes: 47

My first wage was £3-15s so no fiver Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Mine was £3 at start of 1952  Cry
Fixes: 47

Mine was in '62 so that would account for the extra 15 shilling.....inflation Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

In 1958 I stated work as an apprentice and got the princely sum of £2.19.6d.  It seemed a fortune in those days.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There is a push to get more £5 notes into circulation including new machines that ONLY dispense £5 notes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/banking/7859126/5-note-only-cash-mac...
Community Veteran

They're a useful note but at times are impossible to get.  Then all of a sudden there is a lot of them around again.
The £2 coin is another one that is sometimes difficult to get and then plenty of them are available.  I save all the £2 coins I get in change and I think others do as well so I guess we cause this problem Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We were told not to accept the old notes for fares on our school buses way back in February.
Although, we are not supposed to accept anything over a £5 note anyway (although we do) which is more to do with the small amount of cash we handle with a very small starting float. School children are forever being to told to tender the right fare only, but its more often than not what their parents give them in the morning. I'm forever adding my own small change to my cash-box to help things along, it usually works out ok in the end.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
magnetism2772
Grafter

I was lucky at the time to be in a high powered high payed apprenticeship at £5-00 +
Folks but dont forget , the BOE will change the elgar £20 note
or  any  other older notes and at any future date
as the value is not in the note
but the signed promise on the note
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
johpal
Grafter

@Shutter
1) A belated welcome back to the forum.  Smiley
2) I extend an invitation for you to forward all your old money to me; I'll happily  take care of it!  Wink
3) All the ATMs around the students' union of Sheffield University dispense fivers - best not use another smiley, don't wish to breach any forum rules.