cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got any Euros left over from the last hol?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Got any Euros left over from the last hol?

One of the Bank of England Directors is suggesting that Banks should plan for the disorderly breakup of the Euro..
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/24/ukbanks-fsa-idUSL5E7MO1F620111124
Might be messy if it happens.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Got any Euros left over from the last hol?

I have some old French Francs, maybe they'll be valid too in the future.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Few hundred Drachmae...... Cheesy
(they're from before 1982, otherwise they'd be Drachmas)
Fixes: 47

I have a few Canadian notes and coins that I'm willing to put into the rescue pot if that's any help Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I bought euros this week for my trip to Spain at Christmas.  Don't think they'll be hard to spend Wink Wink
pin2011
Grafter

I always keep the euros for the next hol. What I find amusing is the hol shops with the usually very big posters in the window,
which claim that you will not pay any commission on the euros you may want to change back to sterling. Smiley
Looks ominous to me!! Could be what the merchant bankers want from all this. A distraction to the greed which has pervaded
the very existence of money markets etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Erm no. What the hell is a holiday?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Stockpile of Euro gradually increasing as, whilst we pay French supermarkets in Sterling, we get change in Euro. Always handy to have a few whilst one is driving around.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Filibuster
I always keep the euros for the next hol. What I find amusing is the hol shops with the usually very big posters in the window,
which claim that you will not pay any commission on the euros you may want to change back to sterling. Smiley
Looks ominous to me!! Could be what the merchant bankers want from all this. A distraction to the greed which has pervaded
the very existence of money markets etc.

Yes but if you want to sell them back their rate will be poorer than the rate you bought at.  I recently bought at nearly 1.16 to the £ but I bet if they bought them back it would be over 1.20 to the £.  Commission free of course Crazy
itsme
Grafter

Where are you buying your Euro's from at nearly 1.16? The highest the Bank exchange rate has been in the last 3 months, which was recent was 1.175, currently it is at 1.1621 which normally give a tourist rate of 1.13
Community Veteran

A friend works for RBS and one of her perks is an extra few cents to the pound.  She gets good rates on all currencies.
Community Veteran

You need to shop around if you want good rates.  The best rate tonight in London is €1.155.50 to the £ commission free.
pin2011
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Yes but if you want to sell them back their rate will be poorer than the rate you bought at.  I recently bought at nearly 1.16 to the £ but I bet if they bought them back it would be over 1.20 to the £.  Commission free of course Crazy

Perzackerly!!! The money go round doesn't just end there! Latest credit card bill states that I have a PPI payment to make
as part of the current statement. WAAAHAAT? I Don't have PPI and have never signed up for it so the Horse is gonna
get some serious discussion tomorrow. (Well maybe get more sense from the black horse than the customer service
desk.)   Huh
Community Veteran

The upshot being that if the euro collapses in the next few weeks/months there's no point in hanging on to them, so why bother? They won't be worth a lot!
nadger
Rising Star

When we shop in Auchan, Calais, we check rate that we'll get for Sterling notes and normally pay that way. On 16/11 we got €1.11/£1.00 which was a couple of € cents below quoted rates but a lot less agro.
To think that we once got over €1.60 to the £1.00