cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an insect bite? Put the kettle on...

Fixes: 124

Got an insect bite? Put the kettle on...

...and a few other remedies[quote=Teabags for insect bites]Steep a few teabags in boiling water for ten minutes, allow to cool and then apply the liquid to the sting site using a cloth. This helps to relieve inflammation as tannins in the tea are astringent, so reduce the swelling.

[quote=Honey for Minor wounds]Honey helps kill the bacteria that may cause infection. When honey comes into contact with damaged skin, it triggers the production of antibacterial hydrogen peroxide.
After washing hands thoroughly, clean the wound, dab a little honey on it and cover with a clean dressing. Any honey will do — you don’t need to use the expensive kind.
Alternatively, sprinkle on sugar. To prevent spillage, smear a thin coating of petroleum jelly around the wound first.

I wish I'd thought of eating bananas years ago when I felt a little light-headed after a night out (although I rarely got hangovers).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Got an insect bite? Put the kettle on...

just been reading that too
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

just eat plenty of garlic and you will be avoided by the insects in the first place Smiley
not actually totally true but certainly eating garlic means you don't get the irritant problems associated with the majority of them Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

We used to put that "blue" used to make whites whiter than white on stings.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I find Marmite is a great preventative for Insect Bites.
Not rubbing it in, I eat it often and am rarely affected by Insect Bites, all around the World.
Visiting relatives in the backwoods of Canada, where they are building a home, in a location by a Lake, magnificent views, but they have to wear Insect Proof clothing and mesh hats to protect themselves at certain times of the day.
Sitting on their Verandah for a while, watching Hummingbirds drinking Sugar solution from feeders, and Red Squirrels eating out of our hands, my wife, who doesn't like Marmite, was repeatedly bitten by very small black flies, myself I was bite free.
Her bite marks ( mostly on her back !! ) took a year to disappear.
Fortunately, no ill effects from being bitten.
TORPC
Grafter

Nobody has mentioned the dock leaf, they dont just sooth nettle stings you know