cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a camera? - - - - - - Better get a lawyer too....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Got a camera? - - - - - - Better get a lawyer too....

This is for U.K. Photogrpahers.....amateur/professional/happy snappers.....
Your family is at risk of being arrested, if they take a picture of a police officer at an accident/incident/display..... or if you have family members in the armed services, and they are on parade/out and about with you in uniform and you take a picture of them.....
it also applies if you, or your family take snapshots of public buildings/town hall /statues/etc., and also of shopping centres and other public places, railway station/bus station/airport/docks/ major road junctions (spaghetti junction comes to mind) etc., quote which "may be of use for terrorism". unquote.....
This law is so vague and "wide open" to abuse by the authorities...."
It will also apply to ANY "foreign tourists" visiting Britain......
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Please sign Simon Taylor's petition on the Number10 site
"On the 16th of February, the U.K.Government passed a law (in the Counter Terrorism Act) making it illegal to take a photograph of a police officer, military personnel or member of the intelligence services - or a photograph which "may be of use for terrorism". This definition is vague at best, and open to interpretation by the police - who under Home Secretary guidelines can "restrict photography in public places".

We call for these vague restrictions to be lifted, as they can easily be mis-used by the police."
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Photorestrict/
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Got a camera? - - - - - - Better get a lawyer too....

pierre_pierre
Grafter

not saying what side of the fence I am, but we would have had no Photo's of the G20 demo if the law had been applied,  both the group of Police surrounded against a wall and the demonstrators in the various arguments
Community Veteran

right, well we might as call gordon 'adolf' and look forward to the gestapo busting down our doors whenever they please without courtesy of a warrant.
that's our final freedom's out the window.
now do we need to get rid of central government and return autonomy to the people?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter, knowing you're a keen photographer, I wondered if you had a particular reason for making this point? have you fallen foul of any stupid but unwritten rules recently.
I recall from my Heathrow security days there was a ban of photographing security in operation, many did of course, but if they were spotted doing so were jumped on heavily by staff, the Police were called many times for this reason, and always upheld securities concerns about "our" anonymity. Even in TV programmes such as Airport, Airline, Luton Airport etc. its very rare that security is shown in operation...for security reasons of course!!
However, signs telling passengers (a borrowed speed camera logo with a big red cross through it) were located around the security areas, and I think this is the nub of the issue, if there is nothing to say you shouldn't take photographs, then any organisation would find it very difficult to bring a case against you.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Petlaw if you read Shutters first entry, it is a new law, came into use in Feb that makes it illegal to take virtually anything in PUBLIC places Angry Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! I wonder where that leaves Google Street View then...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats a good un Cool
Community Veteran

No, I have not fallen foul of anyone during my photographic excursions ................ YET....
The particular reason for making the point, is to get people to sign the petition in the link at the bottom of my original post..
The original post, has been modified by me, with the originators permission, and copied from a photographic forum that I am involved with.....
As pointed out, this law "could" be used to prevent ANY public place photography, and the recent case of the 12 "students" taking pics of the shopping centre in Manchester, shows how easy it would be to fall foul of the law without realising the law existed...
I, and many others, will still continue to take photographs in public places.  If any "security person" advises me to refrain from taking photographs, then I will do so.... but will also ask for his/her name, and identity details so that I may make representations to their superiors regarding the matter.
Fixes: 47

Signed Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
scootie
Grafter

not saying what side of the fence I am, but we would have had no Photo's of the G20 demo if the law had been applied,  both the group of Police surrounded against a wall and the demonstrators in the various arguments

i am all for this law being dumped.
But if the law was enforced at the g20 protest then maybe the news networks would of aired the speech's that where made by the protesters that wasnt causing any trouble.(the whole point of the protest)
No the news networks just wanted to scare the hell out of the public and make out trouble is going to happen and just follow the police around till even a minnor incident happened and then the news reader can make out ww3 has just started
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Signed Smiley

Thanks Strat....................................... Any more?
Fixes: 104

Oh go on then...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 104

....done
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Typical bad law-making from New Labour. Signed.
Not young enough to know everything