cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google trying to get a phone number linked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Google trying to get a phone number linked

What are they up to?  Found I had been logged out to find on login, they now want a phone number linked to my account for so called account security.  Makes me wonder how many will fall for this and add it and then get phone call spam.
As it is my hotmail account I use for google sites gets enough spam from advertisers they passed it on to
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Google trying to get a phone number linked

Just enter one of googles own phone numbers so they can send the spam calls to themselves.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I just logged into my Google Account and it wanted a Mobile Number but there is an option to skip it and it didn't ask the second time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think the idea is that if you ever forget your password then they can phone with a reminder, seem to recall they want a date of birth as well, guess you could put in any old date but would need to keep a record of this otherwise you could not access your account.
I was unable to access my Gmail until I entered some (inaccurate) information but from then on never used Gmail for anything important so if it goes again I will simply set up a new Gmail account.
Clearly it's some ploy to get you to release personal details so you can be bombarded with adverts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I thought it was amusing how Google recommend a mobile number - in case you forget your password while you're away from your landline - but apparently ignoring the possibility of your mobile being lost or stolen.