Did you mean: 

Google to host NHS records say tories!!

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Google to host NHS records say tories!!

Hi All
[quote="Tories plan access to NHS files"]
NHS patients would be able to access their own medical records online under proposals by the Conservatives.
Under plans to be outlined on Monday, every patient would have a username and password and IT firms such as Google or Microsoftcould host the information.
Shadow Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said it would give people "greater control over their own health care".

[My Bold] It is'nt April the 1th, words fail me, to say how bad this is, what is wrong with local PCT's keeping all the information on there database for local people? that would be better!  But it still would not be secure, it will leek data like a siv.
Any open database will leek!
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Google to host NHS records say tories!!

Before asking us to vote in a poll you must get your facts correct.  In an 8 minute interview Andrew Lansley didn't mention Google or Microsoft once.  Indeed he mentioned records held at local level. Here's his interview:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8192095.stm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well they have just replaced our old local hospital - an 1850's work house, under a preservation order.  With a brand new PFI building, that isnt bad enough having to pay dont know what over a lot of year.  But now they say that the NHS is not going to run it a group called Arkanum http://www.arkanum.co.uk/ (whch is leading a collaboration between local BHS community services and the independent sector providers of hospital care)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Before asking us to vote in a poll you must get your facts correct. 

I have got my facts correct see:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8192073.stm
Fixes: 47

So who is right, the BBC or  Andrew Lansley Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Something about James Bond, Tomorrow never dies  Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Maybe it will be Google or MS who run it and I won't have any worries with that, but I repeat that nowhere in his interview did he mention Google or MS. have you listened to what he said?
PP all PFI hospitals are run by outside companies.  Blame Gordon Brown for that.  Our local community hospital was also rebuilt under PFI and charges were clearly spelt out when I asked for them. They are high. 
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Maybe it will be Google or MS who run it and I won't have any worries with that

Why won't you have any worries with that?  It is going to be a open database so it will leek!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

How about Broomfield?, the extension, nearly the same size as the original is PFI
Community Veteran

PFI was started by the Tory government - and continued under Labour with a slight name change.
I know as I was involved in such a project in the mid 90's - with BT of all companies !
And to answer the question - no way should Microsoft get the contract and I'm not alt all keen on Google either.
Community Veteran

artmo's link is about vat.
i wouldn't want any of my personal data anywhere near microsoft, or google.  open sieves are not my ideal of securely held databases.
Community Veteran

Ah!! Scan further down and you will find the interview with Andrew Lansley Wink
At present most of our records are held on computers by the NHS.. At present as a result of the bungled 'national' computer system these are held on databases run by a number of computer companies.  In my part of the country I think it is run by Semeins but I'm not sure of that.  To my knowledge there has been no leakage of information.  Has anyone any evidence of leakage of their information?
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
How about Broomfield?, the extension, nearly the same size as the original is PFI

Yes, Broomfield is PFI.  What point are you trying to make?
If you've followed the procurement process for Broomfield the original plan was for a build about 100% greater than what was finally approved.  The original plans were cut back by the Treasury to what is presently being undertaken.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you stated that the running of a PFI hospital is not done by the NHS but by private companies
Community Veteran

The NHS run all the medical/nursing functions and the PFI is responsible for the buildings and maintenance of them. In the case of Broomfield I don't know if the original building was PFI or not.  If it was it will be managed by PFI.  If not I don't know if they have become responsible or if the health trust still has the responsibility.