cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google street View (2)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Google street View (2)

If I use Google earth to look at certain parts of Ireland the view when zooming in is very poor and it is difficult to make things out. I suspect the reason for this is obvious so the question is this, why should we be willing to have street views displayed in other parts of the UK when Ireland does not even have a standard view ?
Before you say security, how many times have we been on ' High Alert ' in this country over the last few years ?
7 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Google street View (2)

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/03/about_google_earth_imagery_1.html
Not only that, but imagery for Google Earth is only going to be good if the sun is at a high angle when the satellite goes over (fewer shadows), when there are no clouds, and as little haze/pollution as possible. Believe it or not, the times when these factors all come together are pretty rare.

see the strip down the middle of this map and you see the mis mash of diffrent sat captures used
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=matlock&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Matlock,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&...
Denzil
Grafter

The close in views on Google Maps generally come from aerial photographs rather than satellites. I'm sure it takes quite a lot of processing to ensure that images at different zoom levels and different sources all fit together neatly. Perhaps Google haven't processed the low level images yet, or haven't sourced them in the first place.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That explains things a bit but how often does the satellite pass over ?  Why not wait until conditions are ok and then do the filming ?
Odd it was Ireland perhaps the leprechauns were at work !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been looking around the Border area inbetween Sligo and Enniskilin, it is definitely not arial shots there as Bing (M$) maps use non sat for close up, but the closet to ground level Sat maps are fuzzy in randomstrips.  I thing that the Sat does a roughly North to South orbit shifting sideways on each pass.
Why is the thread titled Street view, its nothing to do with that, the originator can change it  - Street view is only available at the moment for Nothern Island and not Eire
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Pity about 'bing maps', nice concept, but I've not found out to go 'full screen', left with about 40% of the screen filled with junk.
Where as Google Earth is a lot cleaner and a simple F11 (or view>full screen) give a full screen view.
If anyone knows how can they please post
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can make it full width, shadow white arrow on LH border and F11 makes it nearly full scrren, full screen dump below
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Thanks pierre_pierre