cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google is evil - says Microsoft (pots and kettles perhaps)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Google is evil - says Microsoft (pots and kettles perhaps)

I could have posted this in email but given the type of response it is likely to generate Chit Chat seemed a better option
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10426704/Google-reads-all-emails-Microsoft-warns.html

The software company has said it is appalled how Google uses “private information for profit” and found the majority of people think scanning emails is “an invasion of privacy. “
In a series of new adverts, Microsoft explains how Google reads every email users send, picking up on key words to target advertising in a bid to make more cash.
In a survey Microsoft found 83 per cent of people felt scanning emails was an invasion of privacy and 93 per cent said they thought users should be allowed to opt out of the service – it is not currently possible to do this as a Gmail user.
Microsoft, which makes most of its money by selling software, has set up a website called keepyouremailprivate.com which includes examples of how Google uses emails to make more money.
http://www.keepyouremailprivate.com/GetTheFacts
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Google is evil - says Microsoft (pots and kettles perhaps)

Hmm and M$'s sw doesn't phone home and tattle on what you have installed?
If you want a FREE service then it has to be paid for somehow. I use google for my email and can't say I am bothered by ads, mind you I do have adblock plus installed.
I used to pay for email hosting, I moved to google several years ago and not had any issues, no down time and few spam mails. I also used to house my own email server, but the on cost was just too high for it to be economical. Mind you a pi and a 16Gb sdcard would probably do it now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Pretty sure that Google are evil*, so are Microsoft, Apple are hardly 'Angelic' either....
There are simply not enough different shades of jet black to paint all these large corporations.

*In certain respects depending on your circumstances and opinions.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

and MS are whiter than white 'i suppose?
What a joke. It's not like google are selling the actual email information is it? Just scanning them, using keywords and supplying statistics to the people who buy the advertising. Unlike MS who will do whatever it takes to make Bill and his chums a few more quid.
Considering Google go out of their way to provide many free useful services and MS go out of their way to empty your wallet, I'd say this campaign is only highlighting what MS is really like
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Microsoft explains how Google reads every email users

I am assuming that is referring to Gmail accounts only.... and not PlusNet (or other email clients)  emails..?
RichAllen
Grafter

Meh, I am a Microsoft fan, I would much rather use and trust them than the likes of Sony.
Viva la Xbox!
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: shutter

Microsoft explains how Google reads every email users

I am assuming that is referring to Gmail accounts only.... and not PlusNet (or other email clients)  emails..?

How do you think spam filtering works?
Though 'reading' is a term being used to spread FUD
Community Veteran

Good point Davey.
When I had a hotmail account there was always plenty of spam being delivered on a daily basis yet I'd not given out my email address. MS not selling data there eh?
Then of course there were no spam filters (thus not scanning emails to block) so in that respect MS were almost decent.. enough to fill your inbox.
Funny old world isn't it. We want them reading our emails to block spam but we don't want them reading them for adverts  Crazy
Glenn
Grafter

Google is in bed with the NSA...it has been from the beginning...and what about Micro$haft's back door.
w23 is right..."There are simply not enough different shades of jet black to paint all these large corporations."
Smiley
Community Veteran

Difference being that google can move around the world to any country hosting one of its many datacentres. MS are pretty much stuck in the US. IF google decide to move then they're no longer forced to cooperate with the NSA. MS are.
Which one of the two has the most interest in destroying the others reputation to keep the NSA cash rolling in?
Razer
Grafter

I have one word for Microsoft: PRISM
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool And I have another word for Microsoft. MALWARE
Thanks to Microsoft's we do not implement security by design attitude, a billion dollar network of organised cyber-criminals has flourished. No wonder people and businesses are electing to avoid Windows, rather than continue spending billions on third party security suites that work most of the time. I have noted over this last two years a sea change in attitude towards adopting Linux, Android and iOS as the OS of choice - In other words, Anything But Windows. Google may be evil when it comes to civil rights and the NSA, but in this connected world, using Microsoft products is just dangerous.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Thunderclap
Thanks to Microsoft <snip> a billion dollar network <snip> has flourished.

So, at least they're providing secondary employment..  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.