Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google going to charge you for storing emails

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Google going to charge you for storing emails

Ve Haf Vays Ov Making You Pay ! !

Google will charge you for storing emails and pics etc, as from this month... so you had better get your settings sorted out on all your Google & Gmail accounts...

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1456289/Google-Gmail-storage-fee-Photos-driv...

quote from the above linky......

As soon as things are full up, Google will then ask users to start paying for more memory which can up costing as much as £7.99 per month. Now, you might be wondering what that has to do with your Gmail account and why it's a good idea to check your inbox.

The new rules apply to all Google accounts with the storage limit set across a number of services including Photos, Gmail and Drive.

That means your Gmail inbox and Google Drive all eat into the 15GB limit.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

Re: Google going to charge you for storing emails

Another reason I don't use Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook.com as my main mail accounts, but prefer a proper client which is totally under my control and I can configure to my requirements and save any important communications to an offline folder of my choice.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

As a rough guide.... I checked my gmail account for my main email address... and there were over 2,000 emails stored there over the past couple of years ! ! !... the total space they took up was negligable compared to the cut off limit of 15GB.. Cant remember if it was 0.5 % or 15%   either way... it was not  at a point when Google would be sending the heavy guys knocking on my door .

I did delete them all, though... and changed my settings to "delete" after delivery  ( as I get them sent to Thunderbird  for action ) .

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 wrote: Another reason I don't use Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook.com as my main mail accounts

I probably have more than my fair share of Hotmail, Live, Yahoo accounts - on top of my own domain ones. I've haven't had any major problems with any of them. That was until not that long ago, I started to get a warning on my main Hotmail account, that the inbox was getting full. As well as it might have been, as it still had everything in it dating as far back as 2007, I decided that maybe it was time to do a little bit of house keeping by archiving a fair chunk of it locally - using Thunderbird.

As for the Google account, the only reason I have it is because of Android. It hardly ever gets used otherwise (only Google stuff ever comes to it) and is probably totally unknown in the wild.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've been using Gmail as my main email account for about 15 years and apart from 1 time my account got hacked by morons from Sheffield Forum, I've never had any major problems.

I also have a Hotmail account which I use for Netflix and Xbox Live.

Do you see? Cheesy
aesmith
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Google has always charged for space over the 15 Gig they give you free.  The only recent change was to photos, which didn't count against your space usage if you selected to upload in "High" rather than "Original" quality.  The change came into effect on 1st June and from that data any newly uploaded photos consume space.

I don't really see a reason for people to be outraged at not being offered unlimited storage free of charge.  The £7.99 per month they quote is for 2TB.  If you "only" need 100Gig it's £1.99/month.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Won't affect me however if they ever decide to apply this to youtube video storage for videos uploaded then i might get slightly concerned.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Well seeing as I upload to YouTube about twice a month if that, and take photos even less at the moment, I'm not concerned about the limit to Google Photos or YouTube.

Especially when even though about 2 months ago I bought additional storage for my Xbox via an extra USB drive, I can still only record up to 10 minutes of footage.

Once all my Comic Cons are on locally and Nationally, I'll be taking and uploading lots more photos of people dressed up, and also selfies.

Do you see? Cheesy