cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Voice in UK?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Google Voice in UK?

I've just noticed Gogle Voice is available on my Gmail account. UK rate 7p a minute to mobiles and 2p a minute to landlines.
I've not tried it yet, but will play and see how it goes.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Google Voice in UK?

That's interesting. I have a Google voice account complete with Google phone number (US) and I don't get the option to make calls in the UK.
I can, however,
a) send and receive texts to the US for free.
b) receive calls made to my Google number.
I recall Artmo saying he could make calls in the UK on Google voice but never understaood why that was.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So far it looks like out going calls only and no incoming number. So a partial implementation of Google Voice at the moment unless I've missed something..  The voice quality seems ok.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@Oddball, you are right I did use it many months ago but I think it was a trial which then stopped working.  I have friends in Spain who have been using it for a long time.  Wonder why the UK is behind on this one.  I'll have another look at it after reading this post.
matt_2k34
Grafter

id expect they dont want to 'rock the boat' against telephony providers just yet - probably one of the providers being awkward in the UK of them buying blocks of numbers? for example.
BT could quite easily make up several area codes just for Google though, but i'm sure they'd want a stake in the service for that Wink
Regards
Community Veteran

I see Google has bought Motorola today.  Wonder if this is part of the same plan?
Google
Looks like they're going after Apple Undecided
matt_2k34
Grafter

Which is sensible, theres more money to be made there, they can do the telephony stuff after they've killed off everyone else Smiley
Regards
Community Veteran

To set up a Google voice number you need a US phone number to forward the calls to. That is how I set up my Google voice account