Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google UK

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Google UK

Am I the only person who inputs a search in to Google UK and then finds all the top results are from the USA. What gives? Adverts for the sake of it or a money spinner for Google? Really starting to go off Google of late.

Just need a good UK search engine to replace it with. Ideas?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Fixes: 869

Re: Google UK

startpage is an anonymous google search and you have an option to filter results by the UK.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@idonno  You're not alone in your thoughts. How much digging have you done to see if they have a solution for Brits? But then, whatever is recommended is likely to be confusingly technical.

I have seen Duck Duck Go recommended.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Found that as well and quite often have to add "UK" before any search. I wonder how they deal with it in Russia and China. Others out there of course but Google does seem to be the most powerful.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

As @dvorak  has already said, just use the filter and get UK results!

Just as easy to do the same in Russia or China.

A friend of mine has to use a VPN to access work, but he gets results from India - can you guess where his work servers are based?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I'm glad I'm not alone. But you'd think that if one is using google.co.uk, the system would be clever enough to say, "hey up, the user is in the UK............ Like others, I do sometimes put UK on the end when searching. I was actually looking for Primark Boston. The entire first page was all USA based. It would have been very cool if it just said the UK store doesn't exist!!!! As I found out by other means.

@Mustrum wrote:

As @dvorak  has already said, just use the filter and get UK results!

Just as easy to do the same in Russia or China.

You mention other countries. I know when I lived in Vietnam, if I used the Vn.Yahoo.com (Vietnamese people don't tend to use Google anyway) the results were more often than not, Vietnam based results first and everything else bringing up the rear.

I tried that Startpage but for some reason it just seems to do exactly what came up before. No improvement whatsoever. Time for me to do some research.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

@idonno    Bookmark this URL and you'll go straight to Google with UK only results as default:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB&q=

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@Anonymous wrote: https://www.google.co.uk/

That's where I'm at already. It doesn't give you UK only specific results. You'd think it would but it doesn't.

The link that @198kHz  gives does work.UK only results. A shortcut Smiley would be a bit too messy for me as I don't use the browser that way but if needs must! It would be nice if FF could still lock pinned tabs. There used to be a nice add-on that did precisely that, unfortunately with the newer versions the add-on is no longer compatible and as never been updated to work. I'll go digging in about:config to see if I can add that link into the search box somehow. Promising though to see just UK results with not a USA site in sight! Thanks @198kHz 

Highlighted
Hero

@idonno wrote:

A shortcut Smiley would be a bit too messy for me as I don't use the browser that way...

OK, but tbh I'm struggling to see what's "messy".

If Firefox's bookmarks toolbar is enabled (and why wouldn't it be?) it's just a single click to go straight to Google with UK sites as default.

uk.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I usually use Google Advanced Search, but using the basic one-line version Primark Boston gives me Boston MA, but at the bottom of the page there are links that include Primark Boston UK.

If I try Primark Birmingham I get the UK one at the top of the list, and not Brimingham AL.  It might depend on whether there actually is one in the town you search for, and perhaps how large or well-known the place is.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@198kHz wrote: OK, but tbh I'm struggling to see what's "messy".

If Firefox's bookmarks toolbar is enabled (and why wouldn't it be?)

Generally I don't have the bookmarks tool bar open. Shocked I tend to use speed dials instead. I've use speed dials (ever since it first appeared in Opera) for most sites that I frequently visit (looks better) and if I need to go back to a bookmark, ctrl + B soon brings it up. I suppose its a hang over from the days when I had a 10" netbook screen to work with. Toolbars were something of a luxury on such a small screen and something to get shot of to maximise the amount of screen space available.

I usually search direct using a separate search box. The result of which automatically opens another tab located to the right of the one I'm using. And I've managed to use your search string direct into the existing search box by using a Firefox extension. Thanks for that. Job done.

Highlighted
Hero

OK @idonno   fair enough - we each have our preferences. Some of my friends and family love the touchpad on a laptop, but I can't abide it.

Anyway, pleased to hear you've been able to use the URL to achieve what you wanted.  Smiley