cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Translate

Fixes: 47

Google Translate

Today I received a battery I had ordered on Amazon and it came from central Germany.
The receipt and other documentation was in German.
I don't understand German so looked to Google Translate for help.
I then discovered that the Google Translate app enables real-time translation of any text my phone camera can see.
I installed the app and used it to read, in English everything on the receipt.
I guess this app would be handy for travellers abroad as a quick translate.
Brilliant Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Google Translate

Yep, I've played with the instant-translate thing on my phone, it's handy having a universal translator in my pocket...  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've also used it, would have been useful a few years ago in a pub in Dublin where the toilets just had signs with 'Fir' and 'Mna' and the locals found it very amusing not to divulge which was which.  Luckily I was able to wait until another customer went into the toilet and I then knew which one to use.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Interesting app, Strat.
I thought batteries were a "prohibited" item.. in the Royal Mail now....  but when I sold my old dell laptop, the Post Office clerk asked if there was a battery in the package.... to which I responded "Yes".. expecting to be told, they would not accept the package, only to be asked another question.... " Is it fitted or loose"... Replying "Fitted"... she then proceeded with the documentation and charged me accordingly... !

It came via DHL Germany and Parcel Force.
Community Veteran

The batches of mobile batteries I buy from America always just come loose in one of those small thick silver plastic bags.
And are delivered to my door by the postman.
Community Veteran

Oops.....
http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions
and you will see some batteries are restricted/prohibited ! ! ...
and for DHL...
http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/shipping_advice/prohibited_commodities.html
under section Dangerous goods... ( quite a "wide open" definition ! ! )
and  "laptop"   "lithium" and "loose lithium" ...
For Royal Mail... they come under " restricted "... and you "must comply with relevant terms and conditions"... which , looking down the list for Batteries. seems to mean must be new unopened package, and surrounded by bubble wrap ...
http://www.royalmail.com/business/help/sending/restricted-goods
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah those regulations don't apply to vendors in the same way they do to the general public, buisnesses have to have someone that is a dgsa certified dispatcher (or whatever acronym its got now) the average guy on the street doesn't have the qualification (or even a clue about what it means) and as such different rules apply.
I regularly receive products through the post that contain li-po or li-on cells, and not once has customs or the delivery company ever complained about it /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

The battery was contained in a clear plastic and card package with the contact end fitted with a plastic cap.
The app however (remember that?) was great for translating the terms of use which came in 8 languages.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah well the transit regulations aren't exactly rocket science, but apparently several miss-haps have concluded there well beyond the capabilities of the average man on the street.
as to the app, I used a similar one on my windows phone last month to translate some German /Chinese only instructions on a bit of kit that was delivered through amazon prime only to find out they had shipped a  USA version and having taken some photo's got my cash back (they didn't want the piece of inoperable junk bank either .....)  the way tech has evolved (espeiclaly O.C.R side of it) in the last 15 years is truly amazing, back in 1995 when M$ unveiled C.A.L. the talking computer you were lucky if a scanned document would appear on screen with the same text it had when scanned now your phone can not only scan it correctly but also convert it into a totally different language and display the results in a readable and understandable format, which sure as hell beats using services like alt vista's bable fish (god how I hated typing into that site) and you were truly up the creek without a paddle if your keyboard didn't produce the correct characters or pictograms when trying to get something converted to barely intelligible word spew.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

If I use Google Translate, the web version, I always translate to English, then back to "Foreign Language" then back to English as a quick check.
Very funny sometimes !
Community Veteran

I listen to, and watch, a lot of "forren" music vids.... and I use IM translator to give me an idea of the title of the songs.... I have a smile on my face, when I forget and include the singer`s name....
Andrea Berg.... gets translated to Andrea Mountain.... !... ( german translation ).