cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Google Maps

Maybe need a move to Windows Software... but as it can also be used on Mac/Linux/android/other o.s`s......
Not liking the "new"  " improved Google Maps...... can`t make "alternative routes" easily.... are there any other options/route planner like the old Google Maps? that are freely available on line?  or is there a way of "rolling back" on Google Maps to the previous version ?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Google Maps

I don't know how long this option will be around, but if you click the Help icon, bottom right, you have the option to return to classic maps.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

aH!... ok... thanks for that... will see !  Wink
Fixes: 125

One of the first things I did was look for a way to get the old (classic) look.
I seem to remember there was a thread about it a while ago but couldn't find it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

I don't really like the new interface either - seems to be all style over substance.  The old style was far more intuitive.  Having said that, I did manage to find alternate routes the other day .. just can't remember how I did it!  For some reason, at work I only get the old style so I can't check now.
On the phone, I noticed something kinda cool the other day: it actually told me I could save 6 mins taking an alternate route as I approached a junction.  I took the alternate route.  Hard to say if it actually saved me time, of course  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF

On the phone, I noticed something kinda cool the other day: it actually told me I could save 6 mins taking an alternate route as I approached a junction.  I took the alternate route.  Hard to say if it actually saved me time, of course  Wink

So, ...... assuming you DID save 6 minutes..... what did you do with them?  ? ? ? ? ?   
WTF
Grafter

6 mins here, 6 mins there: pretty soon you've saved 12 mins
Community Veteran

Yeah, you could just keep driving back and forth, over the same route and save no end of time ! ! .... !    Cheesy
WTF
Grafter

Why didn't I think of that  Shocked
Fixes: 47

Someone once told me they were jogging to work and followed the bus saving themselves £4.50.
I said "Follow a taxi and save yourself £20"
Yeah...I know, it's an old 'un.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
kdiment
Rising Star

Shutter, you could try http://www.greenflag.com/routeplanning/ and see whether that does what you want.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that....unfortunately, a quick check on it, and it doesn`t seem to want to change the route..... it looks like a scaled down version of Google Maps, without the facility of re-routing by dragging the route to a more direct route...
E.g. from my home to Bicester.... according to Google maps, and your linky,... the quickest way is to run south to portsmouth, then west to southampton then pick up the bottom end of the M3 to Winchester.  99 miles and 1 hour 40 mins...
I go a more direct route ( local knowledge ) which gives me a route of 90 miles and 1 hr 52 mins..... saving me 18 miles on a return trip.
To save me getting the newfangled google maps, ( each time I want to use Google Maps )....  I have now "bookmarked" my home location on the CLASSIC maps....
kmilburn
Grafter

You can alter the route on the new maps in the same way as the old maps,  however,  it takes longer to start doing so (potentially giving the impression it isn't working)
anniesboy
Grafter

The late Dave Allen on saving time. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSRyEWVBSNg
TORPC
Grafter

Just use this URL https://maps.google.com/local
Click on Correct it then choose your desired Country

How long before Google keeps it for, is anyone's guess