cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps.......... again...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Google Maps.......... again...

What`s happened to my old google maps, that I had bookmarked, when they brought out the new one, and OJ gave a linky to the old one...
What`s happened to the old street view,... where you could "drive" down a road and view it as if you were driving along.....
All I get now is a yellow man dangling about, like he has been hung out to dry, and he doesn`t stay where you put him... and all it says is "view pics of the area" or something...
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Google Maps.......... again...

streetview working fine for me on the new maps.
Community Veteran

A very useful answer... thank...  Huh
Community Veteran

well it's useful in that it tells you that it's not a widespread problem at googles end.
streetview still does what you want it to do, so if it's not then the problem is likely at your end.
sjptd
Grafter

Works pretty much the same as before for me too.  Chrome 43 or IE11.  Drop the dangly yellow man on the road and there is street view, and you can drive with cursor keys etc.
I can't see an easy way to follow a route on street map though, which would be useful. I didn't know one on the old maps either.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I was interested so did a bit of a search.  Just found a tool http://www.gaiagi.com/driving-simulator/ that requires the Google Earth plugin and may do what you want.
Wouldn't work on my 64 bit Chrome (because of the lack of the plugin), and plugin install for IE failed too, but worked on Firefox.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Shutter...  When you see roads on GE are they coloured blue as you move the man on to the map? If not, zoom in a little further bit by bit until they are. The seem to have introduced a minimum zoom level for the street view tool to work (on my version anyway).
sjptd
Grafter

They seem to have introduced a minimum zoom level for the street view tool to work (on my version anyway).
Odd, my version shows blue roads at all zoom levels.  I think is the new one; it say "Welcome to the new Google Maps".    By the time I can see the entire UK, dragging the man makes it all go blue except for some patches in the highlands.
sjptd
Grafter

removed by user ...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

FF 38 , works as per usual i even zoom out to all of UK grab my man drop him on any city ,, hay presto he on street view  Cool
Unless it because i am using win10  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 123

FF38.0.5 with W7 Pro and all works as expected.
I hate all the intrusive drop-down menus in Map view Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes, I know about the blue trace over the roads, that the camera has been along, 
I get that... but when I drop the dangly man, he disappears and don`t get the "usual/normal" street view, I used to get with the old maps...
Hmm...... strange to say.. It is now working properly.... after a fashion...i.e... not exactly like it used to be...but then.... I suppose that is called progress, and us "old fogeys" just gotta get used to it.....
Community Veteran

might help if you at least told us which OS you are using and which browser.
it could be something specific to you (which appears likely).
streetview is working properly, no "after a fashion" about it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Except I have a few problems
When using street view on a route the route isn't shown in the thumbnail window
When selecting street view the little pointer isn't there any more so you can't see which way it is pointing when it loads
The street view sometimes goes to an side road for no obvious reason
The whole thing is a lot slower than it used to be when using satellite view
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

mmm weird , i get the thumbnail view with the arrow in front of the little man , on the map i get a arrow where my mouse pointer is on the road . My satellite view is still perfect .
And yes Jim its annoying when it goes down a side road by it self , but its done it for a while  now  Wink
FF38.05 ,, win10 x64
PS i just updated Flash player to 18 0 0160  , wonder if its the problem ?Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Using FF36.0   on Windows Vista Home Premium... with latest Adobe Flash Player update installed...
As with OJ.... it works.... after a fashion...... needs a whole new learning experience, to use it.....
OJ.. the direction arrow appears on street view, when/where you put the cursor.... and to the right,... (on mine) there is a "compass needle" showing the North/south attitude of the road... but with that, you don`t know if you are "travelling" in the right direction....... at least with the old setup...you knew when you planted the dangly man, which way he was facing, so you could change his direction by rotating the view on screen, to the direction you wished to travel/examine/view .....
Ah Ha !"..... the mini view, in the bottom left..... hover the mouse, and it expands... you can then drag the map up, down, right or left.... the little man remains where you put him.... BUT... if you got to (say) a cross roads, and wanted to check it out, for road layout/signs then you need to put the mouse cursor on it, and DOUBLE CLICK.. the little man then moves to that point, and the street view changes accordingly.....  as you swing around on the view, ... so does the little dangly man... and he has a very small pointer (! !) that shows which way he is pointing percy ! ! ....  Embarrassed

Wink
You can also click on the + to enlarge the mini road map....