cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google FTTH

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Google FTTH

A BBC report about Google's Fibre to the Home - 1 Gbs + 1 terabyte of storage = £44/ month. I wonder if there are any bandwidth limits or throttling?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Google FTTH

Well, the service is only as good as the weakest link.......

The service offers Fibre to the Home (FTTH) and is delivered via overhead cables on the poles that also bring power to homes.

So, if there is "severe weather"... and the power lines go down.... so do the fibre broadband cables.....
At least with our "underground traffic routes" we can still get online with our battery powered laptops !
I suspect quite a lot of homes in the US, have backup generators, if they have severe weather and the possiblity of power outages... so they may be able to use their computers but not get on line, because the fibre cables are down..
I also suspect, that it will need two sets of "repair men", to deal with a downed line.... and the broadband guys will probably have to wait until the power guys have finished their repairs before they can get up the poles to replace any damaged fibre cables.... thus more downtime...
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
So, if there is "severe weather"... and the power lines go down.... so do the fibre broadband cables.....
At least with our "underground traffic routes" we can still get online with our battery powered laptops !

With your battery powered router? Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Or my 10 Kw genny in the basement.....  Roll eyes
Fixes: 125

OK, I'll give you that one  Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I also have an "inverter", which I can power up from the  car battery... .... (Oooer,.... missus... push the car harder to get some speed up, then it will start  Grin Grin Grin )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Your genset is not powered with some spare U-235 from the Greenwich Naval College Nuclear Reactor?  Discovered when the Naval people handed the place over to the Greenwich University.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

No, I missed out on that deal  Cheesy