cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Google Earth?

Its possible to copy/paste a Google Earth image. Does anybody know if its Ok/legal to use that image in a web site without getting into copyright problems?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Google Earth?

the normal is just a link, no picture.
what I do is a screen grab, past that into Irfanview, crop it as I want then save that,
Normal ones you see on other web sites include the bottom Google line
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this is one of my favourite holiday places
http://www.countryretreatsuk.com/index.php/booking/view/T76M0rx9UWNIJAuW

it doesnt have a map so just got this one by the above method
Community Veteran

With respect pierre, that didn't actually answer my question, I'm sure your holiday location is lovely, but again doesn't help.
I'll be more specific; I would like to include an overhead (Google Earth) shot of my bowls club (its a very clear shot as it happens) in the club website. I'm concerned about tripping up with copyright...do I leave the Google logo on the pic or as pierre says crop it out? It also happens that I have a Google map in a "how to find us" page that uses the same view if selected instead of the map.
The picture in question has a very distinctive one-off feature in that could only appear in the Google Earth shot at the time the shot was taken. So there's little point in trying to claim it was taken privately.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

James
Grafter

Using our Services does not give you ownership of any intellectual property rights in our Services or the content that you access. You may not use content from our Services unless you obtain permission from its owner or are otherwise permitted by law. These terms do not grant you the right to use any branding or logos used in our Services. Do not remove, obscure or alter any legal notices displayed in or along with our Services.

Suggests otherwise.
Community Veteran

Jim, thank you, the definitive answer...which is "yes"

Community Veteran

And thank you as well James. I'm not planning to sell any of Google's products or images, which is what I guess your quote refers to.
The purist might say its all a bit ambiguous maybe.
However, I'm going to accept Oldjim's link for my purposes.

Community Veteran

Just as a matter of interest, is there a reason why all of my posts in this thread all have the same number of "posts"? surely it should have risen by four!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The number changes when you make another post - all of them not just the latest one
Community Veteran

Doh!! oop's!!