cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Aerial Photography - interpretation please?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Google Aerial Photography - interpretation please?

OK... during the war, aerial photography and it`s interpretation was vital to many operations, and, indeed, contributed to shortening the war by a few years....
here is a chance for you budding ( or expert ) Aerial photography Interpretators to help me out ...

Go to... Google Maps... then put in the search bar....  ( EDIT )  HALFORDS, Hambledon Road, Waterlooville....go to "satellite" on the top right corner, and then  zoom right in, on the fields to the left of that road, and have a go at identifying the objects within....
I have no idea what they are... I must have driven past them at some time, as I live about 3 miles away, and often use that road,... however, in the past 2 years, it has been developed, and is now a housing estate...
I was curious to see if Google Maps had updated on the area,... it seems not...
so .... anyone any ideas ? ? ?  

14 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Google Aerial Photography - interpretation please?

are you referring to the field opposite the halford store or some other fields ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
the fields to the left of that road, and have a go at identifying the objects within....
Left going which way, and it's a long road.  Wink
If you mean West of the Southern end opposite the retail park my guess would be wide trenches checking subsurface conditions before building the estate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
are you referring to the field opposite the halford store or some other fields ?

Yes,..... the long "objects" in those fields....   sorry,  have changed the "search" to HALFORDS hambledon road waterlooville.....
nanotm
Pro

was going to say there plot trenches survey trenches lol
Community Veteran

Yes, they certainly do look like trenches, now you mention them... seem to be a bit random though... maybe that is what they were for... to check what the ground was like "overall".. for foundations...
Thanks ! .. Wink
nanotm
Pro

the strange thing is they weren't very deep, those houses there building must be the modern type built to fall over with the slightest tremor .........
a proper building would have footings going down 6 feet, something that's barely 3ft deep for a ground survey is pretty poor, still that's what you get with cheap mass market boxes, something built to last no more than 50 years, not like older properties that were built to last several hundred years /
thejudge
Grafter

If you look at the shadows around them, they're not trenches. They seem to be raised areas, and the soil they're made of has come from the diagonal scars around them.
nanotm
Pro

if you look at a few in the sunlight you can clearly see the shadow at one end and light reflection at the other end yet you have the same oblong shape definition through the length, the soil piles along either side are clearly higher up than the holes, not sure if you've noticed but the optimum focus zoom is all the way in and back out one, at this point whilst slightly smaller you can make out the colour changes of the soil piles and the light reflection changes defining them as being above normal ground height

if you look at some Ariel photography shots of trenches during the first /second world war you will see similar topography ( they used to be available online but I haven't looked in years) and was one of many reasons why trench constructing since the advent pof manned flight was a master class run by engineers  Wink
pwatson
Rising Star

Archaeology dig prior to the housing development.  Here's an example of an earlier one slightly further North:
http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-1352-1/dissemination/pdf/Hampsh...
Community Veteran

@ pwatson.... thanks very much for the linky... that site ( page 27 of the pdf ).. is now well developed, and about the same size as the site I was querying in the original post question...
the scars on "my" site do look very similar in style and location(s) to those on the previous site.. ( page 27 ).. so much info gained... and appreciate your "research" into my question...  Wink
Fixes: 121

A slightly different elevation from Google earth seems a bit clearer...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Community Veteran

I wonder if "Time Team" would have found more ! ! ....  Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

like many such prospective sites they do a cursory box ticking "evaluation" donate a chunk of cash to the relevant uni department and with minimal delays get on with the development
if they had indeed found signs of a settlement in the area the place should of been properly checked to identify it's location and then once whatever was present had been preserved allowed development to continue, many such slapdash efforts have been used to hide what's later turned out to be monumental finds, but as always big money talks and everything else walks