Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goods ordered online

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Goods ordered online

Have purchased a item from a well known company, parts of it are fragile (glass) and there are a number of small items needed for assembly….

On the website it says…..

’ Check the item on delivery and ensure there is no sign of damage or parts missing, if this is the case do not sign for it’

Well how does that work….my experience is delivery drivers cannot leave your premises fast enough, how can any firm expect you to check for damage or missing parts, likely take at least 10 minutes to even get everything out of the various cardboard boxes let alone check everything is ok.

I accept you have a period of time to return goods without giving a reason so what is the point in any firm suggesting you check before signing…..?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Goods ordered online

In which case what it says on the website is meaningless besides which, very few items these days are signed for.

Hopefully your items arrived in good order and there was no damage. Last week I ordered and received a set of bulbs for a car I had just bought but they were rattling around loose in the 'specially designed' box they came in. Just a bit of sponge inside the box (since fitted by myself) would easily prevented this. None of them were broken and no bits of glass everywhere which did surprise me. 

Gave product feedback and told them about the situation and that if any of the bulbs did not work I'll be wanting my money back. No response from seller as yet so fat chance of that, but at least they have been told.... and no, I will not be ordering another set from this particular seller should the time come.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

parts of it are fragile (glass)

It's not a bridge is it?

Mav
Fixes: 433

@gleneagles 

In these circumstances I will make the courier wait as it's a lot easier to reject the goods than make calls/online returns and get it all packaged again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mav 

Make the courier wait? 

Best of luck with that, these poor guys are rushed off their feet, literally. 😐

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

parts of it are fragile (glass)

It's not a bridge is it?

No.

Its a bathroom cabinet…..

Nothing about wind tests…but clearly in a area where there can be wind.

😉

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Must admit i've often wondered the point of them saying about inspecting at the door too.

But to be fair to save the hassle in the past, if a box has looked beaten i've taken the hand held, signed it and then written damaged under it - then clicked the save button for the guy so he can't change it lol.

If it's not damaged, no problem. If it is, then i've already got it recorded.

But yes, it's completely pointless saying you've got to inspect on the doorstep - don't know how you manage it Mav, the local couriers round here would never hang about.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran

I guess if you lived in one of those posh gated communities then the guy would have to wait until you examined the package before opening the gate….

I suspect for the rest of us a request to wait whilst examining the item would be met with a load of verbals..

Mav
Fixes: 433

I don't do it for small, cheaper packages but large or expensive ones need to be checked at time of delivery for the reasons I pointed out above.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Then there are those packages that are just left.

Bought a traffic mirror a little while back and left in the porch, I noticed one side the of package was squashed. Oh dear I thought (or something similar) and yep, the mirror had a nice dent on one side but luckily I managed to 'pop it out' so no worries.

Packaging left a lot to be desired and yet again, told them on feedback but as with the other item I mentioned earlier there was no response from the seller - but then why should there be, after all they'd had my money so... 🤔

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

I guess if you lived in one of those posh gated communities then the guy would have to wait until you examined the package before opening the gate..

I'll bet Mav lives in more than one of those communities, probably more like a country manor. Any delivery driver that tries to escape before he's checked his goods is "Moderated" lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It's a bit like the signs in shops which state "all breakages must be paid for". It is the shops responsibility to ensure any fragile goods are out of the way of damage and it is not legally enforceable, unless it has changed over the last few years?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It is the shops responsibility, but they cannot be responsible if you are negligent. Due care is required and if you say drop and break something due to your fumblings...

The misnomer I guess @Marksfish is that all breakages must be paid for when clearly that cannot be the case. Much like those that say the management accept no responsibility for loss or damage..." as again clearly, they cannot absolve themselves of all responsibility.

As for goods ordered on line and delivered to your door then it is not unreasonable to expect then to be delivered in good order. The seller must pack them correctly, and the courier must ensure they are handled correctly and yeh I know, we've all seen those videos where packages are just chucked at the doorstep!  

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

we've all seen those videos where packages are just chucked at the doorstep!  

I've always wondered about that but..........

How many breakage claims will a courier company take on a particular route before that delivery driver is an ex delivery driver.

These things may go on but I don't think they are in any way a "standard" practice.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

I've had delicate items arrive in unsuitable packages, but no actual breakages so far.  🤞

All credit to Wex Photo Video, who last week sent a camera lens in one of those bottle type column air bags, surrounded by more air bags filling the thick cardboard box. Even Yodel would have to try hard to damage it.

It gives one confidence in using them again.

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N