cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news in the Chancellors Autumn Statement?

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Good news in the Chancellors Autumn Statement?

Training for some pointless non-job at the end of it? Been there, done that, and have literally worn the t shirt.
All pointless posturing to make people on benefits have to jump through even more hoops to get what they're entitled to, simply to appease the Daily Fail reading electorate.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

In the interests of accuracy here is what George Osborne said:
Without basic maths or English, there is a limited chance any young person will be able to stay off welfare.
So we are taking a new approach.
Starting in some areas at first, anyone aged 18 to 21 signing on without these basic skills will be required to undertake training from day one or lose their benefits.
If they are still unemployed after six months, they will have to start a traineeship, take work experience or do a community work placement – and if they don’t turn up, they will lose their benefits.
A culture of worklessness becomes entrenched when young people can leave school and go straight onto the dole, with nothing expected in return.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Just seen this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25803006
Unemployed people who lack basic English, maths and computing skills should be stripped of benefits unless they take up training, Labour will say.
"A Labour government will introduce a basic skills test to assess all new claimants for Jobseeker's Allowance within six weeks of claiming benefits.
"Those who don't have the skills they need for a job will have to take up training alongside their job search or lose their benefits.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

yet if they aren't capable of achieving a pass mark at such skills there not actually fit for work and as such should not receive job seekers allowance.....for once IDS actually has it spot on, - zero benefits until you take and pass the tests- exceptions being made for asylum seekers (because they are a special category of immigrant) and nobody else (because it only applies to job seekers allowance) oh and if your new to the country you cant claim anything for 3 months anyway......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Unemployed people who lack basic English, maths and computing skills should be stripped of benefits unless they take up training, Labour will say.

How will that affect the learning disabled?
My wife (who has a degree) would probably fail any test of computing skills - I'm sure that would apply to many older unemployed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
yet if they aren't capable of achieving a pass mark at such skills there not actually fit for work and as such should not receive job seekers allowance.....for once IDS actually has it spot on, - zero benefits until you take and pass the tests- exceptions being made for asylum seekers (because they are a special category of immigrant) and nobody else (because it only applies to job seekers allowance) oh and if your new to the country you cant claim anything for 3 months anyway......

What about the exceptions for disabled British folk and if asylum seekers can or will not learn basic English and Maths then they should have their applications turned down, as they are often heard saying "me not speaky english" which costs the state more money by having to supply interpreters etc
Highlighted
Pro

disabled people apparently should not be claiming JSA as its a program designed to get those fully fit for work into a job so they are under those terms specifically excluded from consideration in the proposed revisions (which bizarrely labour has been attempting to block)
asylum seekers are excluded from the revision because of the rules governing asylum, they will be required to achieve such standards during the two years following there successful application as part of gaining citizenship (prior to that they are kept on special asylum seeker benefits)
although its not exactly clear what constitutes being disabled, of course the goal posts on that one did change massively under labour's time in government so who knows maybe if they figure out what makes someone qualify as disabled in the first place then assess based on that set of definitions perhaps the welfare system will once again function as its supposed to do.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

A lot of people will (quite rightly) get very upset at the implied suggestion that disable people are automatically considered by some as not fit to work!
Highlighted
Pro

the term used was "not fully fit for work"
if your disabled you can by definition not actually be fully fit, the two things are mutually exclusive;
whilst a disabled person can indeed do the same job as a "fully fit" person in many environments there are those in which they most definitely cannot.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Conversely there are many jobs a person "fully fit" would not be able to do.
I'm colour blind so there are some jobs I couldn't do. Does that mean I should get disability benefits rather than JSA?
Very few people would be totally free from absolutely all problems that would limit their ability to do some job.
Highlighted
Grafter

That said, many a business fails to cater for the disabled, I know in some cases the buildings may not be appropriate, and its down to the landlords and planning permissions to put it right and make them more people friendly.
And there are those who will not employ a disabled person, however they will employ foreign nationals that can not speak a suitable level of English, (where is the justice in that)
A shop I was in the other day has a 1 person width isles, no good for wheelchairs or pushchairs
There is not enough that is being done for the disabled, as there are far to many hurdles and red tape procedures that take to long and delay things
Highlighted
Grafter

If a company tells a disabled person to his face that they cannot cater for their needs, that person is quite within their rights to take that company to the cleaners under the Disability Discrimination Act of 1995 IMO, in theory at least, as most people on here know, I've been saying for years that the DDA in its current form is not worth the paper it's written on IMO, because no government since the original Conservatives under John Major, has ever enforced it.
dick:quote
Highlighted
Grafter

No company will tell them to their face, however will most likely say something like
We would like to thank you for your recent application for the job of XYZ job . We received a number of applications for this position and I regret to inform you that on this occasion, your application was unsuccessful.

Which will of course cover their gluteus maximus
Highlighted
Grafter

18 years ago I did GCSE English at Sheffield College and got an A, I was offered Maths at the same time but I turned it down because I didn't want the stress of cramming for 2 big exams at the same time, in hindsight that was the wrong decision IMO, I tried to get on an adult GCSE Maths course at Sheffield College late last year, but the course was over-subscribed so I couldn't do it, and I need a Maths qualification at GCSE grade C or above to get even a basic minimum wage Office gopher position which are advertised in the Sheffield Star most Thursdays.
Trouble is though, at nearly 38, am I too old now to learn?
Highlighted
Fixes: 437

Absolutely not, you would just be a mature student.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.