cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good for them !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good for them !

Elderly ( and others) villagers stop travellers from setting up camp on the village playing fields

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3700948/Villagers-lie-vehicles-stop-travellers-accessing-fie...

Good for them...

15 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Good for t5hem !

I know they need somewhere to camp , But councils should provide ample room for them.

BUT should not be allowed to camp where ever they want , make such a mess after they leave

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Exactly what is a traveller ?

When I was a young lad it was not uncommon to see the old type of gypsy caravan pulled by horses and be allowed to park up on some grass verge or farmers field and no one bothered them, in fact as kids it was a novelty to us.

These days it's fancy caravans and cars, no problem there but it's usually a group rather than a single family that appears and there is no moving on indeed they may be joined by others and soon a permanent site is requested so by definition they cease to be travellers. There are also cases of travellers who own a home so what is the difference between any one of us buying a caravan, parking somewhere for free that takes our fancy and calling ourselves travellers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

so what is the difference between any one of us buying a caravan, parking somewhere for free that takes our fancy and calling ourselves travellers.

That we don't go out stealing people's property from gardens & houses, taking copper wiring "for scrap" from buildings, railways & power distribution, and other general criminality... Smiley

If they were just nomadic people who travelled based on the time of year, weather, wild food stocks and whatnot, then they wouldn't be so annoying, but occupying land they haven't paid for, taking what is not theirs and destroying the land they park up on, they're just abusers, takers and thieves...

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

so what is the difference between any one of us buying a caravan, parking somewhere for free that takes our fancy

That's easy. We would be arrested and the car and caravan would be confiscated until any outstanding fines are paid.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I think they make a mess while they are there, and then leave it behind.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

The difference is your name.

My brother in law (now retired) was a copper and when visiting those camps he was not surprised to find in one instance to learn that the entire 'community' was called O'Brian and that they all drove the same white transit type vans. Nightmare! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

They're a menace. They should be charged for all the mess that has to be cleaned up after they leave a site.

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

so what is the difference between any one of us buying a caravan, parking somewhere for free that takes our fancy and calling ourselves travellers.

That we don't go out stealing people's property from gardens & houses, taking copper wiring "for scrap" from buildings, railways & power distribution, and other general criminality... Smiley

But you can't define someone as a criminal just because they are in a caravan! You can't be sure if they live in it full or part time either.

Likewise you can't call someone a traveller because they've been known to steal scrap.

IMO the two are victims of each other. Yes there are good and bad travellers... but we shouldn't assume they're all bad.. although admittedly I've always steered clear of traveller sites.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

artmo wrote:

They're a menace. They should be charged for all the mess that has to be cleaned up after they leave a site.

I'll agree with that ... partly. Where I used to live we had a site that was always being visited by the travelling community and yes they would leave a disgusting mess behind.

With that said, I'm sure there are travellers who also tidy up after themselves... IE people who live in bricks and mortar who travel for a few weeks around the country and stay at camping sites etc.

THAT is the problem.. anyone can be a traveller but people associate travellers with being trouble. You artmo are a traveller - you're always harping on about travelling to the states.

I think we need to refer back to the original term of gypsies or travelling gypsies rather than just traveller as that tars everyone with the same brush.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

7up wrote: I've always steered clear of traveller sites.

I had a friend who did the complete opposite.

Maybe he was a bit of a barmpot but he was into bare knuckle fighting.

As a very active participant.

Community Veteran

@7up

But the point is, you can only be a traveller if you travel, how  many so called, ' travellers' have purchased some farm land and then added buildings on the site and insisting the local council allow them to remain there on a permanent basis ?

So therefore they cease to be travellers ?

Dean farm is one of the more well known, Traveller sites, which ended up with the council, sorry council tax payers spending a fortune on trying to get them to move.

I have never seen any traveller sites in the country, miles away from the local population, in short they need services but are not prepared to pay for these services in the form of taxes.

"We are in the area and have some tarmack spare, do you want your drive doing ?", bet they don't take cheques or credit cards, what will they ever do if cash is phased out ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

7up wrote:

But you can't define someone as a criminal just because they are in a caravan! You can't be sure if they live in it full or part time either.

Likewise you can't call someone a traveller because they've been known to steal scrap.

IMO the two are victims of each other. Yes there are good and bad travellers... but we shouldn't assume they're all bad.. although admittedly I've always steered clear of traveller sites.

So I guess the evidence left behind on various illegal travellers sites consisting of plastic sheathing cut open to remove copper, the leftover valueless metalwork that used to be peoples' belongings or public property and the scorched earth with burned electricals aren't good enough evidence then?

Community Veteran

If you want more evidence then read here:  Dale Farm 'Traveller Site'

This cost local taxpayers around £10M to clear up. An absolute disgrace.

Community Veteran

Travellers should be licensed and be required to have insurance which covers the cost of cleaning up and damage repair after they've left a site. They should be required to display the licence so the landowner can make note of the details. Failure to display should be grounds for immediate eviction by the police and unlicensed camp activity treated as grounds for seizure of vehicles.  The "good" travellers will soon show through.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.