Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good for a stab at surgery? She's handy with the knife, you know

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Good for a stab at surgery? She's handy with the knife, you know

Here Will and should any hospital take her on for training? One part of me thinks, if she sorts herself out, why not? I don't like condemning  anyone out of hand. Yet I have some unease.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
56 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Good for a stab at surgery? She's handy with the knife, you know

Which of those Google links were you referring to?

Or was it this story?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Medicine is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so she'll have to declare her conviction every time she applies for a job.  How many hospitals would take her on?

Anonymous
N/A

@Jonpe

Indeed. Although any applicant for a post as a practising doctor would be subject to an enhanced DBS check so whether she declares it or not, she isn't likely to be finding employment as a doctor in the UK.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

And the world of surgery is a fairly small one where a lot of people know someone who knows someone who would know her.

Community Veteran

She'd be lucky to get any patients with a past like that.

And it's not really her past, it's an ongoing disaster area.

Luzern
Pro

Mav wrote:

Which of those Google links were you referring to?

Or was it this story?

@Mav. Oops link now amended. Thanks

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

She could probably become a veterinary heart surgeon, given humanity's propensity for not caring about people killing animals, she'd probably do well...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The elite looking after the elite, but it will do no good in the long term because this story will follow her around for the rest of her natural.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Reading that story - my opinion is that she would never be suitable as a heart surgeon. Imagine her just having had a 'session' then attempting to carry out delicate open-heart surgery. The mind boggles at what would happen.

Unless, as is quite likely knowing the source, there are other factors we are not privy to, this lady is a walking disaster area.

Mind you, I know someone who is a nurse who has a major drink and mental stability problem, and the only restriction on her at the moment is that she is 'supervised' when dealing with patients.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If she can react like that I doubt many would want to take her on in any job, team work is essential and someone who cannot control their actions or temper is usless in most jobs irrespetive of how clever they are.

The most annoying part of this story is she was treated in a lenient way because of attending Oxford....In my opinion we are all equal and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Contrary to most of you I can see her getting job offers quite easily.
As had been said already the elite look after the elite.

She should never have got off. She is clearly a risk and prone to violence. Anyone else would have been locked up but apparently this judge would rather give her a licence to kill.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Having watched the TV series about junior doctors recently it was pointed out that surgeons don't suffer fools gladly and are known for plain speaking.  After all, if you have someone under general anaesthesia, you don't have time to beat around the bush; if your trainee isn't up to the job, you have to 'direct' him/her.  Someone with anger management problems might not take kindly to that approach.

Surgery is also the most sought-after area of medicine so they can take their pick of the best and the brightest (and the ones without a criminal record).

Luzern
Pro

OTOH we have examples of rogue GPs and Consultant surgeons, the most recent being Ian Patterson. One has to presume that they had no skeletons hidden away at the start of their careers. Therefore, although I too may have my doubts about her suitability, I cannot doubt with the same certainty than most of you.

I am wary of the socio-political elements that have entered the thread; elite, one of them and so on. Oxford does take bog standard background students and its medical school is highly rated.

The judge, I'd think, would have much closer detail of the case and of the defendant, and not at a distance, filtered through press opinion.

OT I recall reading a book by ?early member of the Long Range Desert Group. His team took a badly wounded Jerry to the field hospital, with no objections. When story was told back here: horror. Distance indeed does lend dislike as well as enchantment.To the lady, whatever career she enters, may she succeed. Anyone disagree with the last phrase? 

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Luzern I don't disagree with that last phrase, but having experienced the very erratic behaviour of the nurse I mentioned earlier - and her problems are mostly mental with drink as a secondary consideration - where the individual who is the subject of this ends up DOES need some consideration.

John