cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good causes lotteries

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Good causes lotteries

I quite like lotteries that are attached to good causes, The Air Ambulance and The Health Lottery are two that spring to mind. I've "donated" to the local Air Ambulance lottery (monthly) for several years without so much as a glimmer of a win, but I don't mind as its a good cause.

However, I've just signed up for the British Legion Poppy Lottery (as well) the prizes are quite low value, only three entries are allowed (13.02 per month). Again I'm not too concerned if I don't win as the cause is a good one.

I left the National Lottery when the ticket price doubled and the odds drastically reduced. And no! I don't waste money entering the Euromillions.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Good causes lotteries

I stopped doing the National Lottery soon after they increased the numbers to 59 reducing the odds of a decent win considerably. Also, so many of the 'good causes' weren't were I wanted my money to go.

I have thought of doing the Health Lottery but, so far, have shied away.

Of late I have preferred to donate as an when I feel like it/have spare cash rather than subscribe on a regular basis.

I still continue doing Lotto and Thunderball on behalf of my mother as PoA but I did reduce the amount that was being spent. She tends to get a £3 or £5 win most weeks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The top prize of £500,000 on Thunderball is certainly worth having, and it's still £1 a ticket.  I don't like all these raffles they've introduced; the whole point of a lotto is that you pick your own numbers.  I think the prizes on Lotto should reflect the odds.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The Air Ambulance (for just one example) should not have to reply on lottery funding, It's an utter disgrace.

Good causes are one thing, but essential services are another.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Sad thing is, there's a lot of paid execs in these lotteries, so not all the money goes into funding the causes...

Community Veteran

Sadly that is a fact of life. Still, where do you think a large proportion of National Lottery income goes? to a Canadian health care fund that controls Camelot perhaps? now that is a scandal.

The Air Ambulance, RNLI and others similar are self funded charities and kept well away from government funding and government interference, they're far better off and better run by people who know what they're doing because of it.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero

It's the 'good causes' bit that concerns me to be quite honest as it challenges us to object. What sort of country are we where we now have lotteries coming out of our ears in support of essential services?

Let's see it for what it is, it's a tax on the grasping greedy as they reach for that multi-million payout whilst at the same time allowing the government to disengage from it's responsibilities. Nothing wrong with them per se but let's have some common sense by spreading that prize around the hopeful, thinning it out into thousands rather than millions, and all lottery receipts into the pot and not into the pockets of government.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nadger
Rising Star

I also stopped doing National Lottery because of price hike and increase in numbers.

I still like to have a flutter so do Postcode Lottery - the difference in DD payments goes into a savings account which is growing nicely.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

MRT (Mountain Rescue Teams) are another good cause, staffed by volunteers who not only give up their spare time to train in all weathers but leave their work if called out so if self employed could actually be losing money to help others.

No doubt this applies to RNLI and other groups.

Personally I find it easier to donate directly into the boxes of such organisations than take out a DD.

Like others I have so many essential things paid by DD I do not want any more added, it also saves getting unwanted correspondence from those who have your email/address

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Those who spend the most on gambling are usually the ones who can least afford it.

Community Veteran

I also switched to the Health Lottery when the National Lottery increased its price. I've had numerous £10 prizes and the odd one of £50.

In addition I do a weekly lottery for our local hospice.

I also support the RNLI and the Essex Air Ambulance but through donation and not lottery.

Minivanman
Hero

I pay my taxes and no more, job done. Wink

Community Veteran

Really. A very selfish attitude.

If you needed an air abulance or a lifeboat I wonder if you would feel the same way.

Fixes: 47

I had a Bernado's rep knock on my door this afternoon.

He asked me what I could buy for 30p and when I said "very little" he replied that that was all they were asking for per day.

I pointed out that there are around 160,000 registered charities in the UK and each would like 30p per day off me.

I told him that my pension wouldn't stretch that far.

He took the point and moved on to next door.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

I was being sarcastic @artmo Crazy2

Without wishing to be rude, you may wish to justify and indeed advertise your undoubted generosity but it is if I may say so rather misguided. I would rather argue for and support essential services through those taxes we all already pay. We should not be asked for our pennies whilst those of power and privilege hold onto those pounds. Like tipping in restaurants, all we are doing is subsidizing and thereby supporting bad practice.

Fed up with having your conscience squeezed by wide eyed children or wonky donkey's asking for "only three pounds a week" or being intercepted by helicopter and lifeboat tin rattling chuggers in hospital receptions and on our high streets? Perhaps not, but I flaming well am.

"Okay, sir, my final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper?" 

Jesus wept. let's get a grip.