Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Read ?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 4

Good Read ?

As I have purchased an E-reader, I thought I would start another thread about " good reads"

As I posted in the other thread my first two to read when I get my Kobo will be :

David Jason: My Life
Only Fools and Stories: From Del Boy to Granville, Pop Larkin to Frost

What book(s) have you recently read and enjoyed? Smiley
All suggestions welcome 

Mike
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Good Read ?

I use an app called "Free Books" on my microsoft phone.... the first book I read, was called

Two Years Before The Mast. which is an actual record of a guy taking to the sea, on a couple of square rig ships, with no previous seamanship in his life. For his time, he was " an educated man".. and chose to "work his passage" in a "sort of" gap year experience...  The ships traded around the coast of the USA , and his accounts are fascinating insight into the hardships of life in those times.

the next book I read, was  "The Merry adventures of Robin Hood"... a whimsical series of adventures, that I am sure, could make a super comedy series for T.V. with a "gay" slant to it  ! ! ..

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Last book i got was a free E book ,,,, Networking for dummies Smiley     a few month ago

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

@ITWorks If you give us a clue as to your area of interest (I'm guessing biographies from your first two) I might be able to point you to some useful sites.

Personally, my main area of interest is in thriller/mystery/crime, but the sites I use may still aim you in the right direction.

John
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 4

Hi @jab1

Interested in :

Biographies
History 
True Stories  

Willing to give any good book a read ( irrespective of genre ) as just getting back in to book reading, having not read any for years Smiley

Mike
jab1
All Star

In that case, the sites I have book-marked at the moment won't help, but when I next talk to my 'librarian' friend I'll see if she still has her old links.

AS an aside, I do have a largish collection of 'books' on various subjects that I will never read. They are all in 'mobi' format though - I don't know if your reader can handle that?

If you are interested though, I will see what I've got..

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

I don't read any books in those genre's but some I recommend
The Nate Temple series (Urban fantasy/paranormal/comedy) really enjoying this series
The Hollywood Alphabet series (police mysteries/comedy) plenty of them and all can be read alone.
Any book by Terry Pratchett
The Harry Potter series, much better than the films.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@HairyMcbiker  Terry Pratchett Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Best book I have read recently is Messiah. It is a very good read, has you on the edge of your seat for most of it and a very good conclusion. BBC liked it enough to make a two part film for TV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Messiah-Boris-Starling/dp/0006512046

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
All Star

ITWorks wrote:

Hi @jab1

Interested in :

Biographies
History 
True Stories  

Willing to give any good book a read ( irrespective of genre ) as just getting back in to book reading, having not read any for years Smiley

Right - checked with Lin this morning and unfortunately didn't come  up with anything -the two sites she uses only cover fiction. There is, however another site (legit, but I'm not linking to it on here), which has a free library of books on almost any subject.

Still interested?

John
Community Veteran

@jab1 I would be interested in that freeby link.... esp if it works on the Microsoft phone...

jab1
All Star

@shutter PM'd you.

John
Community Veteran

OK  THanks... replied. Wink