cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Postal Service......again

Fixes: 47

Good Postal Service......again

A woman came to my door yesterday afternoon and presented me with a parcel I was expecting.
The postman had delivered it to her house round on the crescent. Hers was the same house number as mine.
5 minutes later 2 postal workers came past my house and one was saying to the other "is this drive or crescent?" Roll eyes
It's such a regular thing now I've given up complaining Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Good Postal Service......again

You could put a A4 size notice on your door, with your address....
THIS IS NUMBER 5
THE DRIVE
for information ......
here are the directions to No.5 The Crescent...>>>>>
Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We have a regular postie who lives just up the road from us. He delivers our post nearly every day and we never have any problems. Everyone knows him and he knows everyone, he's always walking round with a smile and I frequently say hello to him.
You can always tell when he's off though as the delivery times vary wildly or we get post for another road. Our regular postie is certainly missed on these days.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I have an excellent postman.  He always makes sure everything is pushed completely through the letterbox.  He always has time to stop for a chat as well.

It's annoying to have to rely on the honesty of other people in the area to get my packages delivered.
I have ordered stuff in the past and not have it arrive. Having contacted the sender I have received a replacement so I don't suffer but the seller does.
I have also had stuff pushed through my letterbox addressed to someone else on the estate and had to take it to them.
From what I said earlier it doesn't seem to be posties who can't read so much as they don't take any notice of which road they are on....any road will do as long as it has house numbers.
Community Veteran

We lived down a street in Northampton which also had a close with the same name. I was always getting the wrong post through as was the person who lived down the close with the same name.
I was working in Tandy at the time and the company policy was to harvest customers addresses so mailshots could be sent out. It turned out that one of my regular customers was the chap who lived a the other property and from then on I'd bring his post into the store a couple of times a week and we'd do an exchange.
I also found another customer who used to live opposite me when I was growing up and he had the same surname as me - as I have quite an uncommon surname it was a bit of a surprise but we weren't related (after some research).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Is it not the sorting office to blame, rather than the poor postie?
I live on an Avenue, but there is a Road with the same name on the estate, so I get the odd parcel & letter for them, and vice versa. It is not limited to the PO either, I regularly get carry outs delivered to me, then tell them to try the ROAD address, as I didn't order it, that and the odd other delivery type.

But surely the delivery person be it post Office or other carrier reads the address on the item and not just the house number......obviously not Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy

In my area we have a small sorting office and it is the posties who sort the mail prior to delivering it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I think they only look at the numbers on the letters, they are usually sorted into number list anyway, so they know that they have to deliver to 12 then 16 etc. But if they sort them then yes it is their issue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: Hairy

In my area we have a small sorting office and it is the posties who sort the mail prior to delivering it.

I knew a couple of people a few years back who were both posties in large towns and they both had to sort the post before delivery too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think the posties do their own sorting as they don't always deliver the letters in numerical sequence. 
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I think the problem is the 'improvements' that have been introduced. At one time, we had regular posties who knew who lived where, so if the sorting office had miss-sorted (as is happening on a regular basis here), they would automatically re-sort themselves, and make sure the post went to the correct address. Unfortunately, we now get a different postie almost every day, and as has been said before, they only seem to look at the number.
I live on Mill Lane, and the previous road in the round is Milldale Road - the number of times I have had to either catch the postie on his way back, or redeliver myself, is ridiculous.

Another problem this 'improvement' has introduced for me is that my full address is 'x, Rolling Mill Cottages, Mill Lane' but often online forms do not have sufficient space, so the address is ' x Mill Lane' - again, regular deliverers know they are one and the same, but not all do. Usually not a problem, as they do seem to sort via post-code, but if they don't, I've had them knocking on the door to confirm my address.
John
Devonian
Grafter

My delivery area is very rural, most addresses are a house/farm name and and village name followed by the post code.
The satnav is useless because it takes you to the middle of the postcode area, which can be 2 miles across, so local knowledge is a must.
I quite often arrive at an address, and sat on the mat is a box addressed to 'Ivy Cottage'.. yes I'm at Ivy Cottage.. but the box on the mat is for the other Ivy cottage 10 miles away.
That's what happens when the post office, or the couriers use agency staff.
Agency staff have their place, but not on rural routes.
I must get asked 5 or 6 times a week by 1 householder or other if I am passing the correct address so I can pop it in.
The problem is, the Post Office or the large couriers aren't really accountable, and that should change.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Until recently our postie used to have sacks of mail delivered to the local Post Office, where it would get sorted for his rounds, and he would deliver using the same route every day and we would know when he was due to arrive - which was handy as I receive eBay parcels several times a week.
Within the last year, the post is no longer taken to the Post Office, but is sorted at the regional sorting office into the order that requires the shortest route to deliver.  Therefore depending on the actual content of the post, the postman can take a different route each day, which in turn means that you can never predict when the post is likely to arrive.