cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good News Story

Community Veteran

Good News Story

The youth of today do not always get a good press so it's good to see a story that changes this:
Boy Soldier
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Good News Story

And there are large numbers of young men and women just his age who are just as worthy, it's just the bad ones get the publicity usually.
I was in hospital for three days last month, and the trainee nurses of that age were wonderful young people and a great credit to their parents.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I really must agree. My job brings me into contact with hundreds of young people from junior school age to pre-university age daily. There are exceptions that are potential gangsters but, they are very few. The vast majority are polite, helpful and well behaved...most of the time... high-spirited at times yes, they like to assert themselves if they think they can get away with it. There is the occasional bully amongst them.
Actually, they're no different from my teenage years, yes! I was that age once as well, no, I wasn't a bully, more often a victim.
But above all else they want to be treated as human beings and equals, if you treat them as delinquent yobs then they will react accordingly. I get a number of teenagers both boys and girls who are happy just to sit and talk about anything at all, far from being dismissive of the elderly are genuinely interested in their lives and experiences.
It does however sometimes take a little time and effort to gain their confidence as many seem to suffer with the unfortunate PC approach these days that every adult they come in contact with is a potential paedophile or child abuser. The effort though is often worth it.
However, I do accept that this part of fairly affluent west Hertfordshire is hardly an inner city sink estate, so my experiences may be different to others.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quite right in what you say.  Unfortunately we only see and hear about the troubled youths and ignore the vast numbers that do not cause trouble.  Good news generally doesn't make good headlines so it was nice to see this story.