Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Deal or no Deal

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good Deal or no Deal

So ofcom have addressed this anomaly in BB contracts, but when is someone going to look at the way better deals are offered to new customers, and the hiked up deals to loyal customers

My contract ends in April. It is currently line rental £18.99 (yes I know it’s going up). Unlimited fibre £15.99. Discount  off £8.00 A total of £28.18

Going to my account I’m offered a renewed deal of £35.98 out of contract. So how much will it be with a contract or isn’t that an option any more, it’s not shown as an option in the offer.

On line plusnet are offering a deal for unlimited fibre @ £22.99 a month on an 18 month contract, £75.00 cashback. Forgetting the cashback, the deal is still cheaper than I’m being offered and at 36mb average download speed, better than mine of 20-30 mb though the best I’ve seen is just over 20mb. So it’s pay more for less!!!

OK so it’s for new customers only but why? Why are loyal customers expected to pay more to subsidise new customers?

I could get on the phone and try to negotiate a better deal but I don’t like having to do that, I’ve done it in the past but at 82 it’s not unknown for me to become ever so slightly confused 😥  and I don’t want someone dipping into my pension because of that. I like to see what's  on offer in black and white instead of making a snap decision

If I can negotiate a better deal, why is that not offered to me in the first place without all the malarkey

Plusnet you don’t have to be like other providers. Pitch a straight ball without partiality and I’m sure you will get all the customers you want without those all singing all dancing boring expensive TV ads

58 REPLIES 58
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 118

Re: Good Deal or no Deal

@arjay 

I think it unlikely that Plusnet will change and offer lower prices as standard to loyal customers. Unfortunately the world today sees the non complaining loyal customer as someone to be fleeced, not nurtured.

I would get on the phone and haggle. You will get both an email and ticket confirming the deal you negotiate. You then have a two week cooling off period to read and study the offer. If you don't like it you can cancel it without penalty within this time frame and perhaps ask again for something better, or leave. 

Incidentally you appear to be on the very same service as new customers offered an average speed of 36Mbps. Unfortunately your property is a fair way from the cabinet so your line is one that falls below the average speed. In other words it's the average of all the Plusnet customer's speed, not the average speed that you will receive.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Yeah... it would be nice if......

Plusnet adhered to all the hype about "Award winning customer service "   ha ha ha .

and

Being open and transparent......

and

Do you proud

again..... Ha  ha hargh....

what a shame that the once GREAT plusnet, cannot live up to it`s advertisements.

How on earth do they manage to avoid the advertising standards, and get away with it ?

I`m only with Plusnet because I have been a "loyal " customer for so long... that I am of the opinion that maybe.... just maybe... they WILL listen to their loyal customers and do something positive to improve the

customer service ,...or at worst,...bring it back to how it used to be 5 or even 10 years ago !...

gotta be better than it is at present.

And I would be able to use the ticket system... or even LIVE CHAT... to negotiate.... because I am almost DEAF . Live chat is not available to me...

I cannot hear properly , so the phone is not an option...

the other option  NGT does not install on Linux from the linky provided.

. and Plusnet Customer Service do not care

or offer support to hearing disabled customers to get  NGT... installed or working properly...

pathetic customer service...

Highlighted
Rising Star

@ Baldrick1

Thanks for your advice baldrick.👍

The cabinet must be all of 50 yards from my house so I don't think that can be the speed question. I'm not complaining about it just making the point 😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I thought changes were being made so ISP companies had to write to you prior to a contract ending to inform you what it will cost out of contract and the deals available to you.

Of course PN does not need to offer you some deal that is only available for new customers but if what is on offer is being clearly shown it makes it easier to compare that with what others are offering....much better than some misunderstanding on a telephone conversation.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Younger brother was doing the rounds looking for a new deal and somehow he finished up back where he started.

"Well that's a good deal you were offered there" said the sales guy agreeing to beat it, "who offered you that?"

"You did" he replied. 

@gleneagles 

I heard or read about those changes being made, and about time.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@arjay Do shop around. Plenty of deals out there and sometimes you'll find that well known companies deals (not that I had any complaints about my BB service with PN) sometimes match or are even lower than that on offer by PN.

Currently I'm paying nigh on the same as a 'new' PN customer rate but with another ISP - saving money each month. Same unlimited downloads, with strange to say a faster connection. I've come to the conclusion there really is no need to fear changing - let's face it they all come down the same fibre / wires. My changeover went extremely smoothly and I got a very nice new router as part of the deal. Will I be back with PN next year, who knows. Nowadays, its money money and I play it the way some ISP's do i.e. no loyalty expected.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

@arjay Do shop around. Plenty of deals out there and sometimes you'll find that well known companies deals (not that I had any complaints about my BB service with PN) sometimes match or are even lower than that on offer by PN.

Yeah, But..... why should I , or the O.P. have to shop around, or "bargain" with the current provider,

if they have been a satisfied customer for years.. ( like me....believe it or not!...) ..

. why should we "grovel" to the suppliers,..when they hold us to ransom at the end of the contract...

over whether we should tolerate an increase in charges for the same service...

forcing some to be so scared of the price rises, that they "do one" .and jump ship.

only to find that the grass is no greener on the other side...and may even be a worse provider, for the sake of £1 or £2  per month less expense.  then having to go throught the "new customer" routine all over again? Just to get back to where they were quite happy a year ago ....

Many customers of PlusNet... ( like me ) have .plus.com email addresses...

and because of the number of places that email address has been registered over the years, moving to another supplier, and having the possibility of missing informing some vital supplier, of the change of contact/email address is a fear in itself, that will force people to remain a "loyal" customer, with the added expense ( if they cannot negotiate a new price/contract )

many retail outlets have customer "loyalty cards"... we have several  from different coffee shops... and we use them regularly, so we get good service...

and we get perks...............,

for what... ? 

Being a Loyal Customer...

What do you get from PlusNet  for being loyal?  

more expense and less service..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

I thought changes were being made so ISP companies had to write to you prior to a contract ending to inform you what it will cost out of contract and the deals available to you.

As has been stated by a plusnet staff member on a couple of other similar threads. The "best" deal in the email may not be the "best" deal so they still suggest that you go cap in hand and call them up to plead for a better "best" deal. As Frankie Howerd would have said to plusnet we're not loyal customers just a bunch of pleaders.

So as far as plusnet is concerned this "new" email has changed nothing.

I along with probably everyone else was expecting that these emails would simply have a genuine deal with a link to get it.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@shutter wrote:

Yeah, But..... why should I , or the O.P. have to shop around, or "bargain" with the current provider,

if they have been a satisfied customer for years.. ( like me....believe it or not!...) ..

. why should we "grovel" to the suppliers,..when they hold us to ransom at the end of the contract...

forcing some to be so scared of the price rises, that they "do one" .and jump ship.

only to find that the grass is no greener on the other side...and may even be a worse provider, for the sake of £1 or £2  per month less expense.  then having to go throught the "new customer" routine all over again? Just to get back to where they were quite happy a year ago ..

I couldn't agree more but as I implied it wasn't all cheers when I left PN. As to saving just £1 or £2, it's more like an £8 saving each month for same same. It took about 10 mins to migrate. No phoning etc. Just fill in an online form. 

Many customers of PlusNet... ( like me ) have .plus.com email addresses...

and because of the number of places that email address has been registered over the years, moving to another supplier, and having the possibility of missing informing some vital supplier, of the change of contact/email address is a fear in itself, that will force people to remain a "loyal" customer, with the added expense ( if they cannot negotiate a new price/contract )

That is where you and I differ. I stopped using an ISP supplied address around 1998 (when I first moved ISP) as I suddenly realised what a restriction it placed on me. Even though PN supplied one it was never used. No point as I have plenty of existing email addresses to choose from. They move when I do i.e. not tied to any provider. The majority of them are free accounts that I have had for years i.e. 15 years or so. I've also had my own domain email addresses for well over 10 years. Very cheap to get (about £5 then, £10 a year now). I don't use the domain webspace but it is available if I wanted to. Likewise, I have have never had to go through a 3rd party relay to get and send mail and have GB's of space for my emails and they don't get moved mysteriously by a n other to create space.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

I can see where people are coming from on this thread, and I am not defending PN here, just putting forward a different POV. No matter what service (gas/electric, insurance, phone, internet &c) you have on contract, you are given a 'deal' quite often when you sign up for the first time, and unless you renegotiate when that deal finishes, you are automatically moved to the suppliers 'standard' - i.e, higher, price.

I have all my contracts diarised, and contact the supplier two or three weeks prior to the end of contract, having done a bit of online checking, to see what they will offer as my best price if I recontract. I have only once - on buildings/contents insurance - been unable to persuade the supplier to give me a better, or retain the same price, deal. Sometimes takes a bit of veiled threats and bluster, but works for me.

As a point of interest, I renewed (via a 'personal' deal) with PN last month, andif they dropped my price any lower, they would be paying me to use the 'net.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just received my "martins moneysaver email"... and the first item is

about the "shake up" ...

quote from the email ..

********************************************************************************************************************************

A broadband and line rental shake-up launched on Sat aiming to help those out of contract - currently 8.8m - escape pricey deals. Under regulator Ofcom's rules, firms must now alert you when a promo is ending, and tell you the likely much higher price you'll pay on standard rates.

They must also notify those out of contract each year,

and in both cases firms must show their cheapest new-customer monthly price. 

The idea is this all encourages you to switch.

******************************************************************************************************************************

My editing for bold,... paragraph/splits 

Will be interesting to see how PlusNet approaches me on this... ( contract ends on end of April) ..

Highlighted
Rising Star

@ shutter wrote

I’m not pleased at writing this as I’m not looking for sympathy, but it may help to understand why I’m not happy with plusnet, and perhaps there may be others in like situations

Firstly as well as being 82, I have suffered from me/cfs for 27 years, anyone who knows that disorder will know that it causes cognitive and memory problems more so as you get older, for me to use the phone now is like asking someone in a wheelchair to go up a flight of steps, but plusnet insist I use the phone to try and get a decent(??) deal. I am also house bound and to me broadband is an essential piece of kit to stay in touch and importantly be able to shop online or starve, and stay in touch with distant family. I could go asking for help but I want to stay as independent as possible for as long as I can

It looks like I have no choice  but to change to another provider to make things as easy as possible for me, it can all be done over the internet, sans phone calls, and not having to go cap in hand to someone trying to screw the last penny out of me, at the end of which plusnet will still be making money, they don’t do anything for nothing, just not as much as the avaricious would like. So it looks like it has to be goodbye plusnet

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Thank You @arjay  for explaining your personal situation... and my heartfelt sorrow for the situation you are in..

It does,

however,

unfortunatley,

show,......

how uncaring PlusNet is.....

in respect of older aged customers, and those with disabilities,

such as yours,  and mine, and those with speech impediments.

Removing LIVE CHAT, to all of us, ( disabled customers)

is a discriminatory act,

Replacing it with a cumbersome time consuming third party translator/interpreter when there is no need for one, is a retrograde step,  not an improvement to customer services.

Maybe we will have a month to "cool off"..with the new supplier, .and then return to Plusnet  as a "new customer" with all the associated cash incentives they get. 

But. if anything goes wrong, with the move, we will still not have LIVE CHAT to be able to keep in contact and get the problems solved.  then we will be more than stuffed. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Like a few others I have problems using the phone due to poor hearing......

If PN are only offering the option of getting a better deal by phone they they are guilty of discriminating against thousands of people, mostly elderly by only offering this method of contact regarding getting a better deal.

Put another way if you can't use the phone or need to study what is being offered you are excluded from a better deal.

By need to study I mean some elderly people need time to think about what is being offered we are not all young with sharp minds that can make instant decisions.