cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Bye Lusty....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good Bye Lusty....

HMS Illustrious now on it`s way to Turkey, to be scrapped...

Interesting comments from a couple of guys who are now on the new carrier, concerning how they have had to "re-train" due to the inproved and more up to date systems on there, compared to how it was on Illustrious..

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2016/december/07/161207-pride-on-new-carri...

29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Good Bye Lusty....

Letting that ship go to scrap is an act of treason.

How do I put the government in the dock? - I doubt i'll get legal aid..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Actually, it isn`t... sad as it is, to see those ships going off to be scrapped... the real truth is that they were designed over 40 years ago,... built 30 years ago, and had many "updates" along the way, which cost millions of pounds.

My first ship was HMS Diana, in 1962, which was laid down about the end of the 2nd world war... by the time I joined her, she was showing her age, and costing a lot to keep going.  Steel does rust, despite the over use of Pussers Grey paint. equipment fails, due to age and useage.

My "big adventure" tells of HMS Centaur... a carrier, and she too, was scrapped... I did actually go on board about a year after she had been de-commissioned, ( can`t remember what for ).. but it was in a terrible state... several of the steel ladders to various decks were roped off with warnings that they were unsafe to use... quite a lot of the decks had guard rails welded in place, where holes had appeared through rust...

all these problems have been "foreseen" with each ship that is de-comissioned, and probably accounts had been drawn up, to decide whether an "update" of equipment, replacement of decks and stairways,. radar, electrical, electronic, galley, wiring, ... you name it... it will have had a report put in about it..

Illustrious, and others before her, have a finite "working life"... and once they get too expensive to overhaul, they become a bigger liability, on the purse, and even more of a liability to the crew who have to live and work in them..even down to putting their lives at risk doing "normal" duties.... due to the defects in equipment, that have not been replaced or cannot be repaired.

It`s not just about the "look" of the ship.. The new carriers will be well advanced in many areas compared to Lusty..  newer ways of propulsion.. ( I think the new ships will be electrically powered ).. the galley will be much more modern, and the chefs will be able to provide food of better quality,.. electronics , radar, communications, navigaiontal equipment... all of that will be of the latest design..not 30 years out of date, and lacking in some way that could put the ship and it`s crew at risk...  weapons systems too... again... old fashioned aa guns and other defensive weapons systems of 30 years ago, would be practically useles...and so more modern, and more capable defensive weapons will be fitted... crew quarters... well they will be like 5 star hotel accomodation, even for the lower decks ( as I was ).. compared to "slinging your hammock" every night, and then stowing it away the next morning.  I was amazed at how the accomodation had changed from my time on DIANA, when I went aboard one of these "new" destroyers that looked like a converted cruise liner... ( HMS SHEFFIELD )...

So , yes, it`s a shame to see her going to scrap.. but look forward to the new modern ships coming into the fleet..

(in 30 years time, they too will be going for scrap .... )

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Treason you say @7up?

Blimey.

Apart from trying to bring down the government or bumping off the Queen, how on earth can getting shot of a forty year old out of date giant tub of the sea be considered treason is totally beyond me. Maybe you'd rather sail it up and around the Baltic flying the white ensign in a stern a threatening manner - or how about the South China Sea,,, if it's not too crowded with all those American warships!

Watch out Putin and Jingpin, Britannia is on the prowl and ready to terrify!  

I'm proud to be British (or English, if like me you live in Wales) but let's face it our days of ruling the waves are done and dusted. Time and tide have come and gone so let's move on, move out, and mind our own business for once.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Actually, it isn`t... sad as it is, to see those ships going off to be scrapped... the real truth is that they were designed over 40 years ago,... built 30 years ago, and had many "updates" along the way, which cost millions of pounds.

That may well be the case however the nation were fond of those three carriers we had and the last one should have been saved for us.

Thats the thing with this country, it's always about money - not about giving something back. The nation paid for that ship, the nation wanted to keep it. As usual the ministers decide to trample all over us and do whatever they want.

shutter wrote:

So , yes, it`s a shame to see her going to scrap.. but look forward to the new modern ships coming into the fleet..

(in 30 years time, they too will be going for scrap .... )

I flaming well hope not considering they're designed for a 50 year lifespan. From the site you yourself linked to:

If those are scrapped after just 30 years then this country really does need to do something drastic about the elite that are wasting this countrys money.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Treason you say @7up?

We wanted it saved, the government that claims to represent the people chose to disobey.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well it might have a lifespan of fifty years, but that does not mean it's going to be much good after thirty. There are still a couple of Vulcan bombers flying around so maybe we should bring those back into front line service.

No?

Me neither Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@7up you do live in a dream world some times...   it says on that blurb " with a life span of 50 years"... but, seriously, do you think that technology, ( of which you are well versed ), is going to stand still for 50 years ?  ? ? ?

Get real... the steel alone will be well past it`s sell by date... never mind the advances in propulsion, aircraft, electronics etc. as previously mentioned..

Community Veteran

Advances which may well be fitted to the ships...

And with respect, if I live in a dreamworld, then how do you explain the designers of the boat itself who must surely know a thing or two more than you do about designing them?

But thankyou for yet another insult from yourself, not like theres been any shortage of it from you aimed at me lately is it.

Community Veteran

Having lived on, and served on, ships getting towards their end of service life, I feel I am more than qualified than you to give an opinion on ships than you are..

No insult was intended, rather that you seem not to be able to recognise "banter"  in posts, that do not agree with your point of view.

Community Veteran

That is most definitely so.. but are you more qualified than the designers of these new ships?

Community Veteran

Probably,.... Roll eyes

Community Veteran

I think you're living in a dream world there Grin

Community Veteran

Probably....  but there again... I `ve been there... done that.. ( and more ).. got the t- shirt, and a medal !... What did you get ?  ( apart from angry with the world  ? ? ? )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

7up wrote:
We wanted it saved, the government that claims to represent the people chose to disobey.

did "we"? who is "we"?
when did "we" have a vote on such a thing?
I must have missed that vote and also missed the results of such a vote being published.