cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golden oldie corner

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Golden oldie corner

If you could un-invent something from the last couple of centuries (that doesn't imply that some correspondents to this forum are that old!!) what would it be?
There are the obvious I suppose; the atomic bomb, which has supposedly kept us in a state of "peace" since it's invention, and use. Some might argue that the world has been in a state of World War 3 ever since.
But my suggestion might be; the personal computer.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Golden oldie corner

If you un-invented the Personal Computer, then you would not be able to partake in this forum asking silly questions and making silly statements ...... what else would you do with your time?  Grin
Fixes: 47

He could invent.....the Personal Computer and make loads of money Cool

How about aircraft. I can't afford to fly all over the place so what's the point of it.
There seems to be no problem with stuff sailing around the world from one port to another.
Shutter should be in favour of that.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

There seems to be no problem with stuff sailing around the world from one port to another.
Shutter should be in favour of that.

Yes, But I do like to watch aircraft landing and taking off, I served on an aircraft carrier, and it was my "off duty" entertainment, to go to the "bridge wing"  or "flag deck"  and watch the planes, and flightdeck activity...Especially liked to watch the night flying..... scary stuff that ! Roll eyes

Best of 2 out of 3 services there shutter. Ever done a tour of duty in the 3rd service?
Community Veteran

No..... When I was 10 yrs old, I wanted to join the Navy, despite living about as far away from the sea as possible..... Leicester!.... My dad was in the Army during the war, but don`t know much about what he got up to, he was in Italy for a while and that`s about all I know...Never fancied being a "pongo" but if I failed the Navy tests, then I was going for the RAF. If I failed that, then I probably would have been apprenticed to my father, a cabinet maker..... sometimes wish I had taken more interest  !  Cheesy

My Dad was in North Africa...all sand and scorpions. Left the Army to become an electrician.
I wanted to become a computer technician when I left school but the term hadn't been invented nor had the computer Cry
A bit like kids today leaving school and wanting to be Warp Drive engineers.
Community Veteran

A bit like kids today leaving school and wanting to be Warp Drive engineers.

S`funny, I thought they were already trained for that, you should see some of the warped block paving drives around here ! Grin Roll eyes Grin
jmd
Grafter

Not sure what I would un-invent as most things that have been invented have made life easier such as the washing machine, microwave cooker, car................. Smiley
perhaps I would un-invent the wheelie bin as they are a pest to put out the night before collection, and then you find it the next day about 3 houses away! Sad
also pressure cookers as they are dangerous!
Community Veteran

I think the best thing to UN-invent would be "Income Tax"...... brought in as a "temporary" measure,  Roll eyes    to fund some war or other......    Shocked  Not sure, but I think it is still on the statute books as "temporary"  Undecided  I`m sure somebody will google it to find out ! !  Grin Cheesy Grin
jmd
Grafter

Yes but if there was no Income Tax then we would pay some other sort of tax - so they would still get money of us! Cry

[edit; I never wanted to join Navy....................I can't swim............]
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
If you could un-invent something from the last couple of centuries (that doesn't imply that some correspondents to this forum are that old!!) what would it be?

Television
Mobile phones
Supermarkets
MP3
Community Veteran

Not MP3 itself (which is clever and useful) but mobile MP3 players, walkman and their ilk (or is it spawn....)  Crazy
Don't you just hate that tsk tsk tsk noise as people walk obliviously by with wires in their ears.  Roll eyes
Mind you the Darwin awards spring to mind as they can't hear the traffic  Shocked
jmd
Grafter

Another thing I would like to "uninvent" are those stupid looking things people have in their ears for mobile phones.  I wonder if those that wear them ever realise how idiotic they look?
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Not MP3 itself (which is clever and useful) but mobile MP3 players, walkman and their ilk (or is it spawn....)  Crazy
I agree with that, my point was uninvent the mp3 and the mp3 players don't work and then all the people on the train with wires in their ears might look up and actually talk to someone.
Televisions, I call them the thief in the corner...that steal conversation. There is also a thread on here about the way the English language is changing. Well television and particularly programming from the US is to blame for the decline in the English language.
Mobile phones... It won't be long before everyones brain  is hardwired into communication satellites and everyone will be in constant contact with everyone else, Then we won't need mobile phones anyway!
@jmd
I agree with you and I will add that to my list