Golden Syrup Disposal

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Golden Syrup Disposal

@wotsup wrote:

@198kHz wrote:

Indeed, it can be wheelie confusing.

It can be wheelie confusing that they refuse to colour code the refuse (and English spelling vs pronouciation can be confusing too )

I may get slated by certain people for 'ethnic stereotyping' ( but is it really my fault that I am white and can also type with both hands 🤣 )

Dustman knocks on the back door of an Asian restaurant.
The proprietor comes out
Dustman man says: ‘where’s ya bin’
Asian proprietor says: ‘I bin to Hong Kong’
Dustman man says: ‘no... where’s ya wheelie bin?’
Asian proprietor: ‘I wheely bin to hong kong’
Dustman: ‘ok... so how about: where’s ya dust bin’
Proprietor: ‘I dust bin inside doing some paperwork’
The Dustman, defeated, left without the trash.

or.. as I recall it......

Arz bin rarnd de back, ..... werz yo bin ? Smiley

as for this.....

( but is it really my fault that I am white and can also type with both hands 🤣 )

I use eight fingers and one thumb... but... yeah...on both hands ! ! ...  CheesyCheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Completely running off topic,,,,,,,,,has browser spell checking stopped working on this forum.

I know mine has. So has my simple quick browser version stopped working because the forum update has added a much slower long winded spell checker?

I know which one I preferred.

And yes mine still works on most other forums.

And to come back to topic sort of, my checker is sweet. The forums checker is just syrupy.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

Completely running off topic,,,,,,,,,has browser spell checking stopped working on this forum.

I know mine has....

It's working fine for me in Chrome.

There was a discussion on this a while back and at that time one of the aspects raised was that the Chrome checker was using US English.

I asked Mr. Google how to change the Chrome checker to work in Proper English (which wasn't obvious or intuitive) and ISTR I posted how to do it in the thread.  I'll have a look for it when I get time and post a link if I find it.

Fairly simple and seems obvious when you know how though.  Wink

EDIT:  @billnotben 

Sincere apologies, I opened my gob without checking ... you're right, spellchecking isn't working  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It has never worked on ebay's forums. Similar platform.

Plusnet's forum "improvements" has aligned them which probably makes sense to someone somewhere.

That would be in La La Land.

You get used to typing away and when you don't see a wiggly red line you assume all's well. Until you realise that your checker isn't working.

With the Plusnet spell checker a nice red line appears under............Plusnet

You would think someone would have added it to the forums dictionary.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, seems the browser spelling checker has been over-ridden for me too, never really noticed before as I tend to spot most spelling errors prior to clicking Post, though not always, but that's what the Edit option is for...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Well personally I hate those red underlying spell checkers as you type, they get right on my nerves, and so when I use a new install of say MS Word that is the first thing which gets disabled.

I prefer checking the spelling once I have finished posting, not a nag-while-you-type feature.

Shame it worked fine on Lithium before it was removed. Why on earth did they remove a feature which was actually quite useful is beyond me. The cyncial side of me is that they're saving money not calling a third party API anymore.

I suppose I can always copy and paste a post into Word beforehand, it is just more hassle.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A bit of self boasting here as my spelling is usually pretty good, but if I am unsure of a word (I avoid spell checkers) or they 'just look wrong' then I just type it into a search engine as a sentence and see what comes back. 

Some words I just cannot get right for some reason like the difference between 'to' and 'too' so typing them into a search engine sentence as said usually clears it up. 

We work with what works best for us. 🙂

I know where I am, I've been lost here before
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I compose my replies offline using TextEdit on my Mac and when complete a quick Command + AC to select the text and a Command +V in the Reply Editor and the job is done.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Has anyone here tried Grammarly?  I seem to come across a lot of adverts for it, but don't know anyone who's tried it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman   to     pronounced   tuh   ..... i.e. short sound..... as in ... "i am going tuh the shops"

too... pronounced toooh... i.e.  longer sound... as in... "I am going too  .... "   or  ...meaning ... I am going as well"

notice also that the latter has TWO o`s in it... so... that should help you to remember its correct use " as well" ..

So.......going "to the shops"   is going by yourself,...i.e. one person.  (spell it with  one o)

.............."   I am going too" ... is two persons.... (spell it with two o`s )

WinkWink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

We were taught (but I don't think it always holds true) that double o was going too somewhere. Same way as being told never to start a sentence with And, But, or Because. All gone out of the school window now. 

As a family we would take pride in our handwriting and can remember sending our son off to start secondary school back in the 80s proud as punch with a new 'grown up' fountain pen  - and his teacher telling him he had to use a biro instead.

The poor lad was devastated.

Typing on my Kindle the word 'grown and auto correct changes it to O'Brian.

What the.... 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

We were taught (but I don't think it always holds true) that double o was going too somewhere.

No wonder you get confused ..... good job I went to an "intemediate" level school...  ! ..

Better than a sec mod....but not quite as academically good as a grammar ...

( think it was a pioneer of a new level in the education system at the time ) ..

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Eleven plus failure me (long story) so shipped off to a factory fodder Secondary Modern c1959 and one where all you left with was with a certificate in inferiority.

All came good in the end academically, so two (or is it too) fingers up for those old school days, the worst time of my life and one that felt like a bloody prison sentence. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  Yup !   ... me too .... ( notice the use .... as in " me as well" ) .... 

But...because of the "intermediate school level"  in Leicester, at the time... and being "just under the pass marks on several subjects. I was re-directed to the Ellis Intermediate school for Boys...( the girls were on the other side of the building.. shared the main hall ) .

At age 13, we were able to take another "11+ " type exam, and if good enough, to pass that, then we were allowed to apply for Grammar school... I think I flunked it again...but .hey... 2.25yrs later, and I was in he R.N.

and starting to be paid to train... and eventually, paid to travel the world by the government. ! ! .. ...

Highlighted
Fixes: 474

I've never heard of spell checking before but I suppose someone has to do it.

I mean you can't have freshly crafted spells being used willy nilly without having been checked by a qualified wizard.

Maybe @Gandalf is our resident spell checker.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)