Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golden Syrup Disposal

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Golden Syrup Disposal

No idea about Golden Syrup, but take a lesson from my sister. At a party round mine, when she was living with me, she made home made burgers.

Fine, but she poured the fat down the sink. Of course it solidified when it cooled, blocking the sink.

I had to remove the U bend, got a bit soaked with the water before the U bend coming out but then had to remove the blockage. It was quite a lot.

Could have tried boiling water I suppose, but that makes matters worse if it solidifies further down the pipes.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Unlike fats, sugar & syrups dissolves into water so would become a diluted solution, hence why you don't end up with all the sugar added to a cup of tea sat at the bottom like sand... 🙂

(granted, sometimes some sugar can remain in a cup, but that's due to inadequate stirring, and the stirrer must be chastised for doing such a terrible job!!)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Wouldn't birds like it?  If left out in winter it'll be almost solid.  Otherwise passing stray cats or foxes would probably love it.

Highlighted
Fixes: 474

@twocvbloke wrote:

...use it in tea & coffee instead of spoonfuls of sugar, though it won't need as much per cup... 🙂

I don't take sugar in tea or coffee. I try to use it as little as possible these days.

As to why I bought the Golden Syrup if I don't take sugar (anticipated question)....it seemed a good idea at the time.

A fox visits my back garden most nights but I doubt that Tate and Lyles Golden Syrup is high on its shopping list.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Compost.

Sorted 😃

As for the tin, like a black treacle one we rinsed out a while back it made for a nice pen and pencil pot for the kitchen.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Alex wrote:
Fine, but she poured the fat down the sink. Of course it solidified when it cooled, blocking the sink.
Could have tried boiling water I suppose, but that makes matters worse if it solidifies further down the pipes.

That is where the huge 'fatbergs' come from in the sewers that take several kilos of C4 explosives to break up 😎 -  or more likely men in diving suits with high pressure hoses and long pointy steel rods.

They are made from fat and those things people put down the toilet that don't dissolve in water,  like cotton buds and those wipes ( like the pocket hand wipes come in those little plastic packages  with a lift up flap on them ) that 'are kind to sensitive bottoms' and clog the system up.

When we lived in Australia they had a campaign on TV and posters showing a sink & toilet and a dustbin with the message 'don't confuse these '  - the message was clear - don't put rubbish down your sink / toilet - put it in the dustbin and only put natural human waste down the toilet....

As for feeding birds with refined sugar,  you may well end up with birds in your garden that are too fat to fly and suffering from diabetes,  try explaining that to the RSPB ..

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Amazing how much c**p is flushed down our sinks by folk that don't give a 💩 - we don't even put used tea down ours.

The only c**p that should go anywhere near that sewage line is, well c**p. Nothing worse or more fiddly than having to clean out a blocked under the sink waste pipe. Yuk. 😟

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

For what's it's worth @Minivanman I do give a 💩 but I see nothing wrong with putting the syrup down the sink, it is after all organic and will decompose naturally with out causing issues, provided it's thinned down. However, if this were vegetable oil or animal fat then that's a no no.

Highlighted
Fixes: 474

I have heated the syrup by a means which it may be unwise to detail here.

I have then poured it onto the aforementioned compost heap.

The now empty can has been disposed of in the appropriate bin..in my case the brown one.

So it's now back to the cupboards to see what else needs disposing of.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 139

<rant>Now why couldn't local authorities have standardised on bin colours before they all went out and bought them</rant>

We often rent holiday  cottages in different parts of the  country and it's most confusing when you have the same set of in colours but theyre used for different things.

For example our brown bin is for garden refuse whereas the tin/ plastic recycling is grey...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

we have a cheapskate council ! ! !   thank goodness... all our bins are black...  they just issue out different coloured lid....  Green for recycle and black for general waste not for recycling... simples !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

Point taken and not meant for anybody to take offence.

Even so, far better not to put anything other than soapy water down the sink surely as even syrup as it sticks to the pipe will gather debris from those dishes?

We all care of course and glad to note from Strat it's now gone on the compost pile.  

As for being organic well that's a moot point as some are grown organically ie: no synthetic pesticides and herbicides while others are not. How do we know when buying such products I've no idea other than making sure it is does what it says on the tin. 🙂

@shutter 

No bins at all here in the far wooly west of Carmarthen, so even cheaper cheapskates!

Black bags which we have to buy, green food bags which we have to buy, blue bags.... which they supply. No garden waste collection, we have to take that down to our nearest waste recycling centre which is 25 miles away. ☹️

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

At least we have standardised red for Labour, blue for Tory, Orange for LibDems, Greens for, err the Green party. 🤣

You are right of course those waste collection bins and bags should all be the same across the country after all, how difficult can that be.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Even so, far better not to put anything other than soapy water down the sink surely as even syrup as it sticks to the pipe will gather debris from those dishes?

*ahem*

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Golden-Syrup-Disposal/m-p/1699205#M270506

Because you can't beat a bit of science... 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Indeed, and not to get stuck on the subject but what happens if you just pour it down the sink undiluted? 

I know it's soluble but then so are many glues such as unibond and the like and I do not pour that stuff down the plug hole either... although I had been known to flush wallpaper paste down in the past. 

On the plus side at least we are all more enviromentally aware these days.