cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold plated FUSES ???

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Gold plated FUSES ???

Just reading the latest satcure blog, and Martin has some stuff about gold plated fusesHuhCrazy
Who thinks this stuff up. And more to the point who are the chumps that believe it?
Blog here (http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_175.htm#special)
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Gold plated FUSES ???

I followed the link to the source http://www.glodark.com/audio/unique.htm but couldn't find any gold plated fuses but I did find this
Sick of fuses blowing? This extra-strong fuse is spiral-wrapped with titanium wire that will never melt. ideal for those tricky pieces of audio equipment that use a lot of power.
Order STR-FUS007 at £9.95
I also saw this
Gold plated Scart lead. In this unique product, the pins, metal shrouds and individual platinum wire strands have been coated with FIFTY microns of 7 carat gold, ensuring the highest possible resistance to corrosion and oxygen migration which could affect the picture colours that you see and hear.

A real bargain at £524.95   Crazy
Having said all that the whole site is a hoot  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I find that a NAIL is usually sufficient for the fuses you don't want to blow  Cheesy (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME PEOPLE  Lips are sealed)
The old "for your new HD TV we recommend this £100 gold plated hdmi cable" or you can just go to poundland and get one similar that will do the same job and I dare you to notice the difference.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I thought fuses were supposed to blow to ensure you don't have a nasty accident.. maybe I'm wrong  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

Quote from: Hairy
The old "for your new HD TV we recommend this £100 gold plated hdmi cable" or you can just go to poundland and get one similar that will do the same job and I dare you to notice the difference.

£100 or £2.99 for HDMI the data is either a 0 or 1 one when it arrives so don't see the point of spending more than the latter!
There was a comprehensive review of HDMI cables last year (can't remember if it was Computer Shopper or Computer Active) but the upshot was the more expensive ones didn't give any picture/audio improvement at all- which was to be expected IMHO
I think people just perceive a better picture because they have paid the extra Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I find that a NAIL is usually sufficient for the fuses you don't want to blow  Cheesy (DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME PEOPLE  Lips are sealed)

I can't afford to waste a whole nail. A kit kat foil wrapper is more cost effective. Tongue
Community Veteran

lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
I followed the link to the source http://www.glodark.com/audio/unique.htm >>>>>
>>>>> the whole site is a hoot  Grin Grin

It certainly is - a brilliant send-up.  Grin
It's having a go, of course, at retailers like Russ Andrews. Example: A 1·2m mains lead for £1134 (yes - eleven hundred and thirty-four pounds).  Roll eyes
http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1563&customer_id=PAA026...
There must be some rich fools around.  Shocked
Not young enough to know everything
DaveyH
Pro

Good old Martin.
But wasting his breath on 'audiophools'  who are a strange breed that seem to have missed the point of HiFi, ie the accurate reproduction of recorded music.
Who although mostly seemingly intelligent , choose to waste their lives and money on building ever more expensive systems 'to taste' and  pointless 'upgrades' (fuses, mains cables, add on power supplies etc, etc) and believe what their eyes/ears are telling them over well documented evidence to the contrary.
The equipment is an obsession/hobby for them and has nothing to do with music, and the industry is full of unscrupulous types who are only to willing to relieve them of their wallets...