cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Medal for Tom Daley

Community Veteran

Gold Medal for Tom Daley

15 year old Tom Daley
won the Gold medal at the World Championships.  Great performance and it's looking good for him in the Olympics in 2012.
Great interview with his father as well.  Talk about embarrassing your son Embarrassed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/diving/8159806.stm
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Gold Medal for Tom Daley

The diving highlights can be seen on BBC2 at 12.30pm today.
Community Veteran

Dad's - what are they like - poor lad  Wink
but why no clip of the winning dive ?
we are fortunate to have a few young people who can handle themselves well in front of the media, Tom being one, Lewis Hamilton being another.
Fixes: 102

The dive was on the news last night so probably will be on News 24 or some other channel.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

He's a great role model to our youngsters. Smiley
What a pity he had to change schools after the Beijing Olympics because he was bullied when he returned to school. Sad
Community Veteran

Britain does treat it's top sportsmen well,
the sportsmen do well - and they are glorified, hyped up and on all news channels.
they then have a bad patch, and
they are pilloried, all sorts of incorrect rubbish written about them.
I hope Tom's parents have tried to protect him from some of the flack when he didn't win at the Olympics - but Tom does seem to have a good head on his shoulders and seems able to cope well with the media.
Someone over on the BBC forums has even suggested that he will one day make a good sports commentator / presenter on TV  Huh
Community Veteran

Just watched the diving.  Some great performances but Tom Daley was fantastic.  Great water entry.
We won a second Gold in the World Championships when Keri-Ann Payne won the women's 10km Open Water Race.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

watching the Diving, I would not like to be a judge, no split screen under water or slo mo for them, how do they do it Huh
Community Veteran

I think they judge the dive from leaving the board to water entry.  The judges are all ex divers themselves.
Community Veteran

If you've been following the diving you will have heard the commentators refer to difficulty of the dive.  If like me you didn't know how this was worked out here are 2 links that explain it.

http://diving.about.com/od/meetscompetitions/a/ddCalculation.htm
http://www.usadiving.org/05redesign/resources/Appendix%20D.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that was obvious from the commentary and the comments made about  "his toes were bent when he hit the water", " his nose was the wrong distance from the board when he past it"
Community Veteran

I clicked on the first link - and the advert on the right was for slimming - and how to get rid of your big belly -
NOT like the rather slimmer divers  Shocked
Community Veteran

I often wonder in events like this is who are the judges and what was their record in the event Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
I clicked on the first link - and the advert on the right was for slimming - and how to get rid of your big belly -
NOT like the rather slimmer divers  Shocked

Both links working OK for me Mal.  Funny thing is the advert on the right of the first link on my screen is for laptops Huh