Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to the pictures

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Going to the pictures

Twix
Going down memory lane, again.....
I remember, as a child of about 7 or 8, going to the flicks with my mother,...... however, I also remember it was not a particularly "fun" or "cool" thing for me... It seemed to me to be "just another thing, that adults do, and have to take the kids along...."  Like ... shopping in the town centre... not much fun for kids, being dragged around the shops...
During the past few years... an aquaintance informs me he, his wife, and son, and daughter,.... ( son & daughter now in their late teens)... go to the flicks, as a family on a Sunday afternoon, on a regular basis....
Just wondered if anyone else does the same....i.e.  go to the flicks on a regular basis with their family....
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Going to the pictures

I'm a regular movie-goer particularly this time of year when the Oscar contenders are shown.
Recently I've seen 'Wolf of Wall Street' - an entertaining and exciting film and definitely in with a shout for Oscars.
'12 Years a Slave' another excellent film and Oscar contender.
'Mandela' well worth seeing but overshadowed by the other two.
'Railway Man' a very moving film showing the cruelty of war.
All movies had one thing in common in so much as they were all based on true stories. 
CX
Grafter

I very rarely go these days.
I loved the atmosphere of the old cinema (now demolished). It was dated, and you had to queue outside and around the corner, and your feet would sometimes stick to the floor, but that was all part of its charm. It had a lovely smell of popcorn, and not the various lips-and-cheeks junk food they sell in modern cinemas. I remember going to see Jurassic Park, three times I think, and being impressed by the surround sound. Other films I remember seeing are The Rocketeer, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman Forever, The Lost World.
Modern cinemas can be a bit clinical, although I must admit being impressed with the one at Meadowhall when Men In Black first came out.
WTF
Grafter

I think the last movie I saw in a cinema was that 3D smurf thing, Avatar.  We keep saying we should go again, but on the rare occassion there are movies I'd be interested to see, they're not showing at the local and there's not been anything I'm so keen to see that I'm prepared to drive into town and pay central London prices  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

Its a pity that the like of Vue et al builds their own as we have a perfectly good old cinema, ok its outdated now but could seat  more than the Vue's offering in my local centre
Our old Cinema is now Sad just a derelict building gong to rack and ruin, why can't these franchises et al allowed to build new instead of using existing buildings  , especially if they were originally built for the same purposes ?Huh
Look at the likes of Asda, Morrinsons Aldi, Lidl et al in a way they have each had their own part of killing of the traditional family atmosphere shopping experience and yet we all are guilty of supporting 1 or more by having to shop at at least 1 of them
I actually blame the greed on the ones that like to play golf all day whilst they have never done a hard days graft in their lives, and other further down the daisy chain gets a mere pittance
In reality how many Jobs lost from firms buying out and killing off family businesses, tearing the buildings down > Jobs  in their stores etc with a proper full time 35 hour or more per week > not the Zero hours etc ?Huh