cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to the Dentist

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Going to the Dentist

I am not afeared of the dentist... !  however, I do tend to "gag" quite easily, and this causes me concern, in case I cannot warn the dentis in time, to remove his drill, or pickaxe in time ! ! ..

In a couple of weeks time, I have to go for a filling in a back tooth,    .... an xray...  and a scrape and polish, ( all one session )  about 30 minutes...

To do the filling, I expect he will want to give me an injection to numb the area of the tooth.... as we all know,.. that usually means the whole of one side of the face ( or front if frontal teeth )..which makes eating and drinking a trifle difficult ( no pun intended )...

My question is... why do they need to use such a high "dose" for a "local" anaesthetic, that will not lose it`s "influence" for at least 2 hours...just to do a 5 minute job....

I am dreading the Xray plate in my mouth, as I am almost certain to gag while they all leave the room.... Hey !.. where are you going... if it`s not safe for you,... why are you leaving me here  ? ? ? ?

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Going to the Dentist

I guess it's down to what they are doing, if they're mining inside your face the last thing you want to feel is them doing it. So the more Novacain they give the less chance you have of feeling things, which is better for them as you'll be more inclined to go back as you didn't get a bad experience.

I have an appointment in 6 weeks time, and it was the first available when I made it last week!

Community Veteran

Rinsing your mouth out with a half numb face is difficult without a lot of dribbling.

The last time I missed the bowl and spat all down the front of the dentists lovely assistant.

Community Veteran

I`ll try and remember that  ! !  Grin

Community Veteran

You don't have to have an injection. If you are really brave you can have your treatment without.
Community Veteran

I don`t know whether I am THAT brave.... just making the decision either way could cause me problems  ! !!  ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I find that that paying the bill is more painful than the treatment.

Wink

Community Veteran

Visiting the dentist is, for me, like a tour of Europe. For the past 4-5 years the dentists all have been various eastern Europeans.

This year though the dentist was Greek. I wonder if there is any deeper meaning to that?

Community Veteran

Perhaps they know the drillSmiley

Community Veteran

Or they've been given the brush off.Smiley

Community Veteran

They could just be filling in Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My dentist is a Pole, a fitness fanatic, a running and cycling nut. I think he likes going through the pain barrier
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

PeterLoftus wrote:
My dentist is a Pole,

My Dentist used to be a door knob and a long piece of strong string !  Grin

Community Veteran

My all time favourite dentist.

Little Shop of Horrors

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

i once had an odd injection experience. The dentist gavr it me, and filled my teeth. I left sometime later after he'd dealt with my wife, as we often arrange joint visits.

I drove through the town until just before joining the main road my face swelled on the needled side and my eyes closed.

After several minutes all was settling back to more or less normal, and I drove the 8 miles home.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.