Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Going to Spain?

12 REPLIES 12
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Going to Spain?

With advice like that I'd rather go to Blackpool. 

idonno
Seasoned Pro

Can't say I had any problems when I spent 3 weeks driving around Tarragona  etc. Mind you I'd had plenty of practice using the French ones before I hit Spain. It's a lovely road from Calais down to Spain. Non stop if you like that sort of thing. Me? I stopped half way down for the night. Just have to watch out for the speedies!

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

It was all 'tongue in cheek advice', at least I hope so!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Think so @Minivanman I did give me a bit of a laugh though. :smiley:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@nozzer wrote:

Advice for driving....

http://costadelsolupdate.com/spanish-government-gives-advice-to-british-drivers/?fbclid=IwAR24Ywvg0B...

Quoted from that link;

" Javier Embrague from the Marbella Department Of Road Safety Prevention says “Many British drivers come here without any idea of how our traffic systems work.  The guidelines published today should help deepen any misunderstandings and further add to the confusion felt by drivers in Spain”.

[-Censored-]?  :rolleyes:

If the part in blue had been added by the journalist ... maybe, but ...?

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@idonno wrote:

Can't say I had any problems when I spent 3 weeks driving around Tarragona  etc. Mind you I'd had plenty of practice using the French ones before I hit Spain. It's a lovely road from Calais down to Spain. Non stop if you like that sort of thing. Me? I stopped half way down for the night. Just have to watch out for the speedies!

Many years ago I drove from Calais, through France via Paris, and Spain to southern Portugal (in the days before Spain and Portugal were EU members).

Whilst driving in Paris I noticed how bad some of the French driving was.

When I hit Spain I commented that maybe those French drivers weren't so bad!

I made a similar comment when I reached Portugal, saying the Spanish drivers weren't so bad!

No motorway driving was involved apart from one particular time in Spain when I accidentally found myself on what they were calling a motorway which had almost literally no traffic on it, probably because of tolls.  Fearing being hit by a large toll myself further down the road, it was simplicity itself to turn on to the opposite carrigeway and go back the way I'd come (having seen no toll booths there) - this was made possible because there was no central barrier, just a stretch of grass with a large ditch in the centre, and frequent 'filled-in' level sections bridging the ditch, presumably for that purpose!

Edit: typo

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Not far wrong, and I've found that each country has it's own version of bad drivers which many of us have experienced. What is more general are impatient drivers - myself included!

Marksfish
Pro

Roundabouts are a bone of contention in Spain. New drivers are taught to stay in the outside lane, with no indicators, all the way around, although it is trying to be changed now to something resembling "normality". Touch parking is also a skill taught by instructors in Spain.

When hiring a car, it is best to take the hire company sticker out of the window to stop you becoming the target of other drivers who like to take advantage of the unsure, plus the bandits that will try to pull you over and mug you in broad daylight on a motorway!

Motorway driving is great out there, I love it, especially the deserted toll roads :smiley:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@nozzer wrote:

Advice for driving....

@nozzer 

I have to admit I went off a bit half-cocked when making my comment in post#6 having not read past the first paragraph and roundabout diagram.  :embarrassed:

Didn't realise at that moment that the article was a pizz-take!  :thumbsup:

Community Veteran

@RobPN 

I think the Andalucian Road Safety Executive says it all! :cheesy:

Marksfish
Pro

Extraction of the urine it may be, but still equally valid if you have ever attempted the roundabout melee in spain!

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@nozzer wrote:

@RobPN 

I think the Andalucian Road Safety Executive says it all! :cheesy:

Yep, I spotted that after I'd commented on the a55-about-face 'English' in the first paragraph  :wink: