cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going round in circles

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Going round in circles

Going round in circles here looking for a new ink cartridge for my 'el cheapo' Canon Pixma printer and jeepers, don't we all know just how expensive they are so before I get dizzy and fall over, can any of you guys direct me to the best deal for a either a 545 standard or 545XL cartridge

They seem to range from about £15 with one on-line 'cheap deal' supplier offering 'em for £45. Are they having a laugh?

Tried the second hand refills route but more often that not the printer just refuses to work with them so....

Cheers. 👍

PS. Surprising how long these last even after being told by the laptop and printer it's running out! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
11 REPLIES 11
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Going round in circles

@Minivanman 

Take a look at.....www.stinkyink.com

Not sure how they compare to other suppliers.

I have got a pack of ink from them but not used yet.

Also different model of Canon printer.

Last 3 printers were all canon but always refilled my own cartridges and used a redsetter to reset the cartridges, these days I cannot be bothered so have purchased a set from above company.

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

I switched to Stinky Ink earlier this year and can confirm that they offer quality cartridges at very competitive prices. They also deliver very quickly. My printer is Epson but I am confident that all cartridges ar of the same high quality.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Hmm... I have done a bit of searching...  and I thought... must be cheaper to buy a new printer...

so I looked on PCworld and they have one for £39.99

as a "black ( oops... are we allowed to say that on this forum :? ? ? ??  ) Friday deal"... 

So... thought yeah..  "That`ll do" ...   ( in the vernacular yokshure accent ! ! !) ... wonder how much the cartridges are..

so put that into a google search... and find it is the same number you are looking for,  545 XL..

https://www.printerinks.com/17794/2p-n-013/inkjet-cartridges/canon/pixma-ts3355/

which  the first supplier was selling a complete set for ...... £83.45    WOT ! >  ? ? ? ?  

Looking further, I see a similar printer to mine    Canon MG5750 for £59.99 .

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/canon-pixma-m...

Searching for the cartridges brings up my supplier  "STINKY INK "  who have a full set of 

FIVE ."individual colour cartridges" for   £10.19

So,... maybe time to buy another printer, and get cheap cartridges... My CANON MG6851 uses the same cartridges... you can buy the colours individually or in bulk qty packs, which saves a lot of loot ...

Compared to the above...Cartridge price....

1 new printer... plus one set of new cartridges = £70.18

An instant saving of £13.27 

and , of course... cheaper replacement cartridges in future. !

Aspiring Legend

Thanks guys will check 'em out and yes @shutter , sometimes cheaper to buy a brand new printer than two brand new cartridges!

Crazy eh. 

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  Yeah... I think the biggest mistake people make when buying a printer is choosing on price... forgetting to check how much the replacement cartridges cost..

My 6851 has been a faithful servant for the past 7 years... at least... and the cartridges last a long time... as mentioned, buying them in a "bulk purchase" does mean you have plenty of spares. and not going to run out in a hurry.

As others have already stated  "STINKY INK" cartridges are very good quality and excellent service and price.

Good luck.   Smiley

Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The HP Instant Ink program is worth looking at next time anyone is considering buying a new printer - various plans available to suit most home / small business needs.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've always refilled my ink cartridges. I did noticed something odd when I tried to save a bit of money buying a cheapo from Wilko's. The original HP cartridges, that came with the printer, I have refilled many many times but the cheapo cartridge that I bought for "just in case" simply doesn't work after refilling. So that was a bit of a non saving.

Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Strange thing when some ten years or more back I used to fill up my old HP printer m'self with no problem and even when buying recycled (and presumably refilled) after finding it all must a bit to messy, I had not problems. They lasted a heck of a long time when printing loads of stuff for my daughter's Student Union. 

Now they don't last even half as long and the Canon I have now is really fussy as to what get's inserted... no jokes please. 😉

Time to dust off the old typewriter!

Hero
Fixes: 30

@Minivanman wrote:

Time to dust off the old typewriter!

You'll be going round in circles trying to find a ribbon.  😄

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

I'm on it, I've already found the Tippex. 😋

Community Veteran

I`m a bit of a "retro" man, sending text messages around the world using Morse code, over the "modern internet".. as in days of old, with the "original" internet...

so I`m kind of fancying one of these....

USB TYPEWRITER.png

https://www.wired.com/2010/08/usb-typewriter-pc/

according to the write up... anyone with some mechanical/soldering skills can do it... over a weekend when there`s nowt on the telly  ? ? ? 

He has a DIY kit for $50.. or you can buy ready made ones on ETSY for $350 upwards...

Nice Christmas present for someone  ? ? ?