cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going full circle...

Fixes: 121

Going full circle...

We started with mobile phones the size of bricks.
Now, with more miniaturisation, we can get phones that are, well, just short of being a brick Cheesy
When is a big screen TOO big? Samsung unveils the aptly named Mega-phone with 6.3inch screen

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Going full circle...

Not very practical really!! I think people need to decide if they want a phone or a tablet.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Are there tablets with phone capabilities?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

From the original linky....

Samsung hopes the big design will appeal to commuters and others who regularly watch films on their gadgets

(my bold)....
What?  they did all that production design and machine tool work, etc.,  and "hope"...
didn`t do any market research then !....
Fixes: 47

I do wonder if people with a large full HD television at home are happy to watch a movie on a relatively tiny phone screen. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Funny you should mention that, I've often wondered about the capability of viewing movies on a mobile phone, but who wants to? and does your battery last long enough...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Are there tablets with phone capabilities?

As far as i know there isn't but no doubt they are working on it Wink

I used Handbrake to reduce an HD movie to test out on my HTC Sensation.
The percieved result is of good quality but it would appear that way on a small screen.
Can't see how anyone could get enjoyment from watching anything that small with the awful sound quality that comes with it.
SWMBO is frequently glued to her 10" Galaxy Note streaming programs from Ukraine. Nope, can't see the attraction of that either. Maybe I've spoilt myself with a 16:10 26" Iiyama Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
tablets with phone capabilities?

Many are 3G enabled which usually means phone capabilities of texts, video and voice calls are possible. Some even have GSM/EDGE capabilities as well.
This explains why you see people carrying a tablet and talking into a headset as you would look silly holding a tablet to your head.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: billnotben
as you would look silly holding a tablet to your head.

I thought that was what they were for, large ear warmers.  Cheesy
I remember being in a phone shop a few years ago, and the punter was complaining about his new phone - it was the SMALLEST available and he could press the buttons!  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Funny you should mention that, I've often wondered about the capability of viewing movies on a mobile phone, but who wants to? and does your battery last long enough...

I think it all depends on what you want to watch.  An example of suitability is watching movies in flight.  When I travelled to the US I saw 2 movies.  The first was Hitchcock which was perfectly acceptable on a screen of about 10".  The second one was Zero Dark Thirty which needed a much bigger screen to appreciate all the special effects.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Last time I was on a plane with movies, they still had the projection type screen & head phones - was on one where they charged for the HP and wanted them back after the flight CHEAP SKATES. Mind you that was 20+ years ago  Embarrassed

The only in-flight movie I've seen is a graph of the plane's flight path Cheesy

Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Last time I was on a plane with movies, they still had the projection type screen & head phones -

i think there are still some planes that have the large screen.  One big problem is you don't get a choice of movie and you can't pause it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

you would look silly holding a tablet to your head.

S`funny.... thought that`s what you did with headaches......  Roll eyes