cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go ahead for fibre to green boxes?

Denzil
Grafter

Go ahead for fibre to green boxes?

This on the BBC news this morning. I'm not holding my breath, though.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7919904.stm
5 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Go ahead for fibre to green boxes?

BT want to do it as they will then be able to add other services which the competition will not have. But have BT the money to do it  is another question.
Lurker
Grafter

They have the money to invest, so long as its an investment for THEM, and not one for everybody to take advantage of.
So long as BT are free to spend the money to make this happen, and are then free to charge whatever price they want to recoup the cost, it just might happen.
BT have always refused to do it previously on the grounds that OFCOM had previously intimated that it would expect BT to share the infrastructure with its competitors at prices set by OFCOM.
Having a free rein will allow BT to start the programme in areas where money will be easiest to make to pay for the infrastructure (think M3Exchanges where lots of LLU operators might also pay handsomely as well as their own customers)
The payback will allow them to then look at targeting less profitable areas.
itsme
Grafter

Don't think BT has that much cash floating around. Don't forget the investment for the WBC and 21CN.
Community Veteran

Sounds a good idea and one that is well overdue.  I don't think money will be a problem to BT even in these cash-starved days.  It will be interesting to see a time scale for the whole country. 
techguy
Grafter

But BT will be allowed to charge whatever it likes for access to the fibre network
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/03/ofcom_bt_fibre/

So something tells me its going to be anything but affordable
While I like my Internet connection, I sure won't be forking out £40+ a month for a fibre link.
Its kind of like releasing a rabid pitbull without a muzzle and expecting it not to bite.