cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gmail

Logged into my Gmail account today and got a page asking for my date of birth (no other details were requested)
I Was unable to get into my e-mails until I entered this information.
Have never come across this before, is it something new or does Google do this from time to time ?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Gmail

I had that a few weeks back and found myself thinking the same thing. Seemed rather odd to me. Maybe its some sort of periodic security check?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

Sounds more like getting free customer data imho. Can't think of any of reason why they would do it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the feedback, thought it unlikely to be some sort of scam as I am using Linux but hardly a week goes by without someone dreaming up some new way to scam or hack accounts and as I get older I seem to be getting more paranoid about it. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If it happens again, give them a false d.o.b.  such as . 5 jan 1645  .... if it still logs you in, then no worries ! ! !..  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Until you forget your password and have to verify yourself using that false DOB that you can't remember...
Heloman
Grafter

I've had a GMail account for five years and have never been asked for my DoB.
Can't think of any legitimate  reason why they would want it. We all know that Google are intrusive, but this is gong a bit too far...
Community Veteran

I'd be DEEPLY suspicious if that popped up on my screen - thinks Malware!  Lips are sealed
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Have never come across this before, is it something new or does Google do this from time to time ?

Does this thread sound plausible to you (I've never used Gmail)?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Heloman
We all know that Google are intrusive, but this is gong a bit too far...

Steady on! They're probably just trying to survey the age groups of their users or something for their in-mail advertising. Everything google offers is advert sponsored so its only natural they're going to do some annonymous research to target their users.
It's not like they're asking for your name and address, profiling the groceries you buy, how much you spend etc (yet most of you here LIKE Tesco clubcard which does all that). It's just your DOB and yes, while it might seem intrusive, what does it really give them? - Not a lot. Google could probably find out more about you by using their datacentres to run extensive searches on you and data pattern matching etc if they really wanted to (facebook does - I've had tons of emails telling me who I know and I should join).
This all sounds to me like the old cookie arguement. Everyone getting paranoid about the information cookies hold and in reality it wasn't anything important. Sure websites can track you and work out statistics about you etc but again its not your personal details, credit card number, bank details etc so I never understood why everyone got so worked up about it.
If you have a mortgage or loan then you're frankly in a far worse position than gmail asking for your DOB or a website using cookies on you because every financial institution in the land can build a proifile of you from your credit record which does contain personal information - like your name and address.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I never give my true birthday/date on-line unless there is a legal requirement to do so. Once you release that information to a commercial organisation you lose control over the data and who has access.
It is a similar situation with the Tesco Club Card or the Sainsbury's card. Why would I want my personal shopping habits stored in databases around the world? Events have shown that such information is not held securely.
I'll leave you to guess the accuracy of the information supplied by me to Google.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I gave my wrong data of birth to Virgin several years back.
I now get a e-card from virgin each year on that day  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

It's only a matter of time before everything about everyone is stored on databases from birth to death and anyone who thinks they have evaded the system would be in for a surprise.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

And naturally everyone else will be able to see it except yourself  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

Absolutely Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation